Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome to the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center
- If you are new to the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center, please take a few moments and read over this page and the Main Page. Most of the information found on previous versions of the Genealogy and Local History Department's website is now available through the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center.
What is Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center?
- The Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center is an online encyclopedia of Wayne County, Ohio. The quality and quantity of information on the Wiki is dependent on information entered onto Wiki by library staff, volunteers and community members.
What is the vision of Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center?
- To have a thorough and accurate historical record of Wayne County, Ohio -- its people, businesses, and organizations.
- To provide an opportunity for the memories of our present generation to be preserved for our future generations.
- To encourage and involve the greater Wayne County, Ohio community to take an active and collaborative part in sharing information.
- To provide 24-7 access to Wayne County, Ohio information to anyone with Internet access.
- To link together much information normally found in a variety of resources in one, convenient place.
Why the Wiki?
- In 2014, the Wayne County Public Library revisited webpage development. Several options were considered. Using the Wiki platform was suggested as the best means to collaborate with the greater genealogy and local history community to achieve the goals of the Genealogy and Local History Department of the Wayne County Public Library.
- It is the goal of the department to include a thorough and accurate history of Wayne County, Ohio on Wiki.
- In 2018, our department's website was "branded" the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center. Staff felt it was a better descriptor of the project and sounded more reliable than the Wiki. It had been reported that teachers discourage the use of Wiki because they do not believe the information is reliable. We do want to encourage students to use the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center.
Who submits information for the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center?
- Anyone who desires to share information pertaining to Wayne County, Ohio on the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center may apply to become a Wiki editor or contribute information for a Wiki editor to add to the pages.
- See Adopt a Wiki for more information.
What kinds of information are sought to be added to Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center?
- Indices to plat maps (1856, 1873, 1897)
- Directories (pre-1915)
- Information on schools, churches, businesses (both current and historical)
- Family information and photos
- Historical photos
- Internal databases
- For more information, see Adopt a Wiki.
- 20th century plat maps with indices
- Post 1915 directories
- Additional internal databases
What kinds of information may be found on Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center?
- You may find photographs; school records; census records; birth, marriage and death; property records; maps; newspaper abstracts and images; biographies; family information; history of businesses, churches, schools, and organizations; directory listings, burials, military history, and much more. The Wiki is limited to what library staff, volunteers and community members have added.
- Users will find how to guides. Discussions may be found on vital records, census, court, property, ethnicity and immigration, and other topics of interest to local historians, genealogists, students, educators, and others.
- There is a list of department resources available through the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center.
- Volunteers and staff have spent many years compiling Internal Databases indices for our researchers to use. Many of these indices are now available through the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center.
How accurate is the information found on the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center?
- The library strives to be as accurate as possible with the information staff add to the Wiki. However, we do not guarantee the accuracy of the information posted by Wiki Editors. Similar with other Internet resources, users need to use their own judgement when using the information.
- If the library notices a Wiki Editor abusing his or her privileges, the library reserves the right to cancel the Wiki Editor’s privileges.
- The Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center is designed to be self-governing. If users notice anything of concern posted on the Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center, please notify the department as soon as possible.