Historical Information[edit | edit source]
The town took its name for Thomas Smith who erected the first house in 1818, which was a cabin on the north-west side of Portage Rd around where he laid out a village in 1831. However, due to low grounds the area was vacated. Then on May 25, 1836 David Birney, Sr., Joseph Musser, John Shroll, and Luther Carey laid out a new 41 lot village. The survey and plat was done by Campbell Bell.
David Brenizer put up the first building.
References[edit | edit source]
- Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 681.