Banks

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Company directory[edit | edit source]

Historical documents[edit | edit source]

  • * Wooster City and Wayne County Directory, compiled by S. E. Neikirk and P. W. Snyder, September 1904, p. 80. [1]


Freedman’s Bank Records[edit | edit source]

From 1865 through 1874, the Freedman’s Savings and Trust Company existed. This bank was established to benefit former slaves following the Civil War. More than 29 branch offices were opened during this time. They were scattered throughout the South and in some Northern states such as Pennsylvania and Maryland. There was also an office in Washington, D. C.

Each of the branches kept registers of depositors. Information varied from one branch to another; however, most would include the following information: name, age, birthplace, residence, and names of former master and of parents, spouse, children, and siblings. These records are available on microfilm at the National Archives, or they can be searched online through Heritage Question Online.

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Wooster City and Wayne County Directory, compiled by S. E. Neikirk and P. W. Snyder, September 1904, p. 80.