Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Washington House
- Accommodation & Food Services
- Hotel, Stables
- Date unknown
- Date unknown
- E. Liberty St., Wooster, Ohio
The stables were able to accommodate 100 horses.  Located on the corner of Buckeye and E. Liberty Sts.
- Demolished: 1870, D. C. Curry & Co.
- 1859 - Williams' Akron, Wooster & Cuyahoga Falls Directory, City Guide & Business Mirror, 1859 by J. H. Baumgardner & Co.
- 1860-1861 - Ohio State Gazetteer and Business Directory for 1860-1861, Wayne County, Ohio / authored by George W. Hawes
- 1873 - Caldwell Atlas Business Directory*
- 1879 circa - D.C. Curry & co. will tear down the old building
- 1879 - March, Plans to build a new hotel to replace the old Washington House. Frontage on Liberty St. 60 feet, Buckeye St. 100 feet 3-story building. Office and business room on first floor, dining room on Buckeye St., parlors, suits of rooms, sleeping apartment on second and third floors. Main entrance on Liberty street, Ladies entrance on Buckeye street. Estimated cost $20,000. Mr. D. Graham, of Chicago, Architect. M. Keyser, New Brighton, Pa, Contractor. 
- 1883 - December, OBITUARY: Henry Leies, Sr., died at his home in Orrville Thursday of dropsy. Mr. Leies was for many years a citizen of Wooster, having been in the hotel business here as landlord of the old Eagle House, Washington House and until a few years ago was the proprietor of the Empire House (Wooster, Ohio), now known as Keister's Eastern House. In his capacity as landlord he became one of the best known men in the county, he was popular and entertaining as a host and a man noted for his large-hearted generosity. He leaves to sons and three daughters to mourn his loss. The remains were brought to Wooster Saturday afternoon and interred in Oak Hill cemetery at two o'clock Sunday p.m. Deceased was in his sixtieth year.
Newspaper Article Citations
Newspaper Clippings/Full Text
- Wayne County Democrate, Wooster, Ohio. 1859-04-28, p. 4.
- A New Hotel for Wooster. Wooster Republican. Wooster, Ohio. 1879-03 13, p. 3.
- Jacksonian, Wooster, Ohio. 1883 December 13, p. 4.
- Wayne County Democrat. Wooster, Ohio. 1858-09-02, p. 4.
- Wayne County Democrat. Wooster, Ohio. 1859-04-28, p. 4.
- Wooster Republican. Wooster, Ohio. 1879-03 13, p. 3.