W. N. Jones Photographic Gallery
|Former type||Professional / Scientific / and Technical Services|
|Industry||Professional and Technical|
|Predecessor(s)||Wykes & Jones|
|Founder(s)||Walter N. Jones|
|Headquarters||Wooster, Ohio, United States|
|Number of locations||1|
Walter N. Jones was born in Portage County, Ohio, May 7, 1838, of English parentage. His father, Charles H. Jones, was born in 1790, in Herefordshire, England, and was an active business man and extensively engaged in the malting business.
The father, Charles H. Jones, was quite a noted horseman, his forte being in the saddle. He continued to reside in his native land, developing into manhood, and about 1820 was united in marriage with Caroline A. Pickering, the youngest daughter of Sir William Pickering, of Gloucester City. After six children had been born to them, and after sustaining heavy financial losses, the parents determined to emigrate to the United States. They consequently set sail in 1835, and arriving in this country located in Portage County, Ohio, where they followed the occupation of farming. After their arrival in the U.S. four more children were born to them, Walter of this sketch being next to the youngest. Jones' father with his family moved from his original purchase to near Rootstown, Portage County, where he bought a farm and continued actively in his calling until his death in 1856. Charles and Caroline Jones were both buried in the old cemetery at Rootstown.
Walter N. Jones resided on the old farm with his parents, until 16 years of age. In 1853 Mr. Jones went to Wooster, Ohio, Wayne County, Ohio to learn daguerreotypy, with his brother-in-law, J. W. Wykes, and afterward learned ambrotypy and photography. He became a business partner with Wykes around Apr. of 1857 and they operated as Wykes & Jones for a short period. Jones became sole proprietor by Oct. of 1857 and meeting with success, our subject continued the photography business and produced some of the first life-sized photographs made in that section of Ohio plus oil paintings.
On Jan. 17, 1860, Mr. Jones was united in marriage with Miss Addie E. James, eldest daughter of J. C. James, of Wooster, Ohio. Her parents were English and among the early settlers of Wooster. J. C. James and wife moved from Wooster, Ohio to Aurora, Illinois in 1866 to conduct a mercantile business.
Mr. and Mrs. Walter N. Jones' first child, Carrie A., was born Nov. 10, 1860, and died May 7, 1861, and is buried in the cemetery at Wooster; Mary Edith was born June 15, 1862; Charles H., Aug. 8, 1864; James W., Oct. 27, 1866; Lottie A., Jan. 29, 1869; George W., Aug. 17, 1873; Emma Hortense, Oct. 16, 1874; and William P., Aug. 19, 1883. Nettie J., Jessie M., and Howard S. died when young, and are buried in the family cemetery on Lynnwood Farm.
In 1863 Mr. Jones sold all of his property in Wooster, Ohio, and he and his family moved to Galva, Illinois, where they operated a restaurant business. However, a fire destroyed the restaurant and the family moved outside of Galva and established Lynwood Farm on 240 acres, which he purchased from John Hester. He eventually added 80 acres to his original purchase and the place comprised 320 acres of good land, under an advanced state of cultivation, and was known as one of the very best stock and grain farms in Knox County, Illinois. About 1898 Walter N. Jones retired from farming and moved back to Galva, Illinois. Later he and his wife moved to St. Joseph, Missouri where he died at age 65 on September 9, 1908.
- about Oct. of 1857 to about 1863
1886 Portrait & Biographical Album of Knox Co., IL. History of Knox County, Illinois: Its Cities, Towns and People, Volume 2, Part 2