Matilda Shaeffer was born 16 June 1830 to John and Catherine Shaffer|Shaeffer in Carroll County, Maryland. She was baptized on 12 September 1830 at the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Manchester, Carroll County, Maryland. She was the administrator of the estate of her sister, Hannah Broadbeck.
1850 US Census Killbuck Twp, Holmes Co, OH
enumerated on 29 July 1850
pages 114B and 115A
Catharine Shaffer, age 60, born in MD $2,000 value of real estate Margaret Shaffer, age 28, born in MD Hannah Shaffer, age 27, born in MD Emanuel Shaffer, age 25, born in MD, farmer Sarah A. Shaffer, age 23, born in MD Matilda Shaffer, age 20, born in MD Rachael C. Dial|Deal, age 3, born in OH
The following marriage abstracts were listed on page 285 of the publication, Holmes County, OH Marriage Records 1825-1854:
- Catherine Shafer married Simon Severns on 24 March 1842; married by E. R. Guiberson, Justice / Police order / and Safety of the Peace
- Juliann Shafer married Joseph Uhl on 21 March 1839; married by George Gordon
- Rachel Shafer married Oliver Dial on 23 November 1843; married by Josiah Purdy, Justice / Police order / and Safety of the Peace
- Sara A. Shafer married Simon P. Wallick on 9 January 1851; married be Jesse Helsell
- Matilda Shaffer married Silas A. Funk on 8 August 1854 in Wayne County, Ohio. This is recorded in volume 4.5 on page 212 of the marriage records. They were married by J. Jones, Minister of the Gospel.