Health Care and Social Assistance Sector Summary
The industry Health Care and Social Assistance features Wooster, Ohio once had three hospitals before the Wooster Community Hospital opened in 1959. The first was at the home of Captain James B. Taylor on North Market St. An agreement was made in 1907 to permit the use of the home as a hospital until it was sold to Central Christian Church in 1942.
The Kinney and Smith Hospital was erected in 1916 on S. Bever St. This hospital was also known as the Kinney & Knestrick Hospital Co.. It remained in service until 1959 when the new Wooster Community Hospital on Winter St. was built.
In 1936, the Beeson Clinic was built by Dr. John Beeson and his two physician sons, Paul and Harold Beeson, and was located on North Market Street. The Beesons left Wooster in 1956.
Today Wayne County, Ohio has two hospitals: Wooster Community Hospital and Aultman Orrville Hospital. In addition, the Wooster Clinic on Cleveland Road was purchased by the Cleveland Clinic and now has additional facilities around the north end of Wooster.