Original file (744 × 1,183 pixels, file size: 325 KB, MIME type: application/pdf)
the third. The first was built in 1819 by Larwill, Bever, and Mr. Henry. It was a three-story brick building and occupied jointly by the County Officers and Free Masons. It was located on the present site and burned down in 1828, at which time many valuable records were destroyed. The second Court House, and the one recently torn down, was built in 1831-2 at a cost of a trifle more than seven thousand dollars. The structure was regarded as a very fine specimen of architecture in the time of its completion. As the evils men do should be buried and the good live after them, so we say of the defects, which were many, of the structure just destroyed. It served its purpose and served it well. Many are the times when the citizens of Wayne County sat spell-bound at the learning displayed by Judges
"In fair round belly, with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances And so played their part."
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||06:19, 1 March 2017||744 × 1,183 (325 KB)||Szimmerman||User created page with UploadWizard|