515 N. Bever St., Wooster, Ohio
The large two-and-a-half story wood frame house with a Palladian-style window under the facade gable apex located at 515 N. Bever St. was likely built between 1861-1864 by property owner Joseph Caldwell. Mr. Caldwell was a carpenter and contractor and probably built the house with the intention to sell it for profit rather than live in it. He bought the whole Lot No. 170 for $357 in 1861 and sold a portion of Lot 170 in 1867 to Samuel Rhoads for $1,600 which indicates the property value went up significantly between the time Caldwell bought the land and sold it to Rhoads. This most likely means a house was on the lot when Rhoads bought the property. Furthermore, an 1868 newspaper article indicates Samuel Rhoads built an addition to the house and stable for a reported $875 sometime between 1865-1868.
In 1978 a fire at 515 N. Bever St. killed 21-year-old Richard H. Oviatt and destroyed much of the house. However, afterwards the house was repaired to simulate much of its original design.
- February 20, 1868: "Building in Wooster", Wooster Weekly Republican, p. 3.
- February 18, 1911: "Prosecutor Buys a Home", Wooster Daily News, p. 1.
- September 23, 1978: "Wooster Man Found Dead in Home Fire", The Daily Record, p. 1.
Wayne County Recorder Property Transfers
- 1816: William Henry, Joseph H. Larwill, Abigail Larwill To John Bever Vol. 1 p.100 $1
- 1837: Last will and testament of John Bever deceased gave to daughter Mirtilla (Bever) Bowman married to James L. Bowman land containing 68 acres.
- Mirtilla Bowman To Jacob B. McKennan Trust Deed Vol. 50 p.242-244
- J.B. McKennan's Addition to the Town of Wooster: Plat of 30 outlots numbered 149-178 dated November 7, 1857.
- 1861: Jacob B. McKennan To Joseph Caldwell (mis-spelled Cowell in Index) Vol. 59 p.312 Old Lot No. 170 $357
- 1867: Joseph Caldwell To Samuel Rhoads Vol. 68 p.88 part of Old Lot No. 170 $1,600
- 1869: Joseph Caldwell To Samuel Rhoads Vol. 72 p.575 part of Old Lot No. 170 $10 (strip of land to be used as an alley)
- 1911: Sarah Rhoads Etal To Rose B. Critchfield (after 1870 renumbering) Lot 1358 Vol. 163 p.267 $4,200
- 1962: Rose B. Critchfield, deceased To Henry B. Critchfield Lot No. 1358 Vol. 388 p.55
- 1979: Henry B. Critchfield To Arthur M. Saunders Vol. 555 p.205 Lot No. 1358
- 1980: Arthur M. Saunders To Anthony G. Dal Pra, Katherine C. Dal Pra Vol. 555 p.334 Lot No. 1358
- 1986: Anthony G. Dal Pra To Anthony J. Dal Pra Vol. 619 p.330 Lot No. 1358 $41,000
- 1988: Anthony J. Dal Pra To Leon Ray Hershberger Lot No. 1358 $55,000
- 1996: Leon Ray Hershberger To Scott R. Coonfare, Dana T. Coonfare Lot No. 1358 $74,000
- 1999: Scott R. Coonfare, Dana T. Coonfare To James C. Bricker, Karen S. Bricker Lot No. 1358 $99,000
- 2006: James C. Bricker, Karen S. Bricker To Karen S. Bricker Lot No. 1358 Quit-Claim
- 2011: Karen S. Bricker To FANNIE MAE AKA FEDERAL NATIONAL MORTGAGE ASSOCIATION Lot No. 1358 $61,000
- 2012: FANNIE MAE AKA FEDERAL NATIONAL MORTGAGE ASSOCIATION To Debra J. Merillat Lot No. 1358 $41,250