History 146th Infantry
This document is a compete draft of an abridged history of the 146th Infantry. It comprises pages seventy-six through eighty-seven of the Frank Gerlach file.
Gallery of Original Pages
|Rank||Company||First Name||Last Name||Orig. Member|
|Lieut. Col.||N/A||Frank C.||Gerlach||Yes|
|Lieut. Col.||N/A||Timothy J.||Moynahan||Yes|
|Lieut. Col.||N/A||Wm. H.||Beck||Yes|
|Lieut. Col.||N/A||Ernest O.||Thompson||Yes|
|Capt. Adj.||N/A||Grover G.||McCoy||Yes|
|Capt. Adj.||N/A||Orville E.||Clark||Yes|
|Capt. Adj.||N/A||Marcus R.||Limb||Yes|
|Capt. Adj.||N/A||Lyman D.||Turner||Yes|
|Capt. Adj.||N/A||Jesse B.||Blue||Yes|
|Capt. Adj.||N/A||Geo. F.||Griffith||Yes|
|Sup. Ofc.||N/A||Capt. Earl J.||Ports||Yes|
|1st Bat. Adj.||N/A||Lieut. Ralph A.||Schad||Yes|
|1st Bat. Adj.||N/A||Lieut. Geo. F.||Davenport||Yes|
|1st Bat. Adj.||N/A||Lieut. Julins A.||Stark||Yes|
|1st Bat. Adj.||N/A||Lieut. Ralph W.||James||Yes|
|2nd Bat. Adj.||N/A||Lieut. Warren J.||Keister||Yes|
|2nd Bat. Adj.||N.A||Lieut. Chester W.||Rupert||Yes|
|2nd Bat. Adj.||N/A||Lieut. Geo. S.||Ashman||Yes|
|2nd Bat. Adj.||N/A||Lieut. Chas. W.||Andrews||Yes|
|3rd Bat. Adj.||N/A||Robert L.||Bride||Yes|
|3rd Bat. Adj.||N/A||Chas. E.||Murphy||Yes|
|3rd Bat. Adj.||N/A||Hugh A.||Stevenson||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Major Harry B.||Bertlette||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Capt. Chas. A.||Howland||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Capt. Jos. H.||Bontwell||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Capt. Russell J.||Caton||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Capt. Wm. H.||Hicks||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Lieut. Lawrence E.||Todd||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Lieut. Morris||Mendleoff||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Capt. Leon M.||Muedekin||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Lieut. Wm. E.||Jackson||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Lieut. Everett E.||Alexander||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||J. C.||Hawkins||Yes|
|Att. Med. Ofc.||N/A||Francis A.||Boylan||Yes|
|Chaplain||N/A||Capt. Wm. A.||Atkinson||Yes|
|Chaplain||N/A||Lieut. Abner L.||Fraser||Yes|
- Shorthand Key
- Lieut. = Lieutenant
- Col. = Colonel
- Capt. = Captain
- Adj. = Adjutant
- Prsn. = Personal
- Bat. = Battalion
- Att. = Attached
- Med. = Medical
- Ofc. = Officer
- Hdqt. = Headquarters
- Some names which have been listed multiple times under different ranks have been entered into the table as such. For full context, please see the transcription text below.
- Typographical errors, such as capitalization and spacing errors, have been corrected where appropriate.
- Given the age and condition of the document, certain names and segments have been rendered illegible.
- Suggestions have been given in brackets where appropriate.
- Empty brackets indicate that a segment is missing, however, no suggestion has been made.
- The notation [sic] has been inserted where possible mistakes have been made.
- The notation [redacted] has been added where text has been mechanically overwritten.
- As with all names and old documents, misspellings and phonetic spellings are common. Please be advised that certain sounds and letters, such as "B" and "P", "M" and "N", "T" and "L", and "I" and "J" are frequently confused and adjust your search accordingly.
- Likewise, common first names are often abbreviated on this list. Names like George, Charles, and Joseph are shortened to "Geo.", "Chas.", and "Jos."
Return to F. C. Gerlach Wooster, Ohio. 146th Inf.
History 146th Infantry
- The 146th Infantry, formerly the 8th Infantry, Ohio National Guard, was organized by Special Orders No. 68 dated July 6, 1876, Adjutant Generals Department, Columbus, Ohio. At the time of its muster into the Federal service, on August 5, 1917, at Camp Sheridan, Montgomery, Alabama, it was designated the 146th Infantry.
- Forty-two years later, this same organization, with continuous and honorable service to its credit, was in at the death of the Hun— two of its battalions had crossed the Escault (Scheldt) River in Belgium on the small pontoon bridges and dug in sufficiently to protect the bridgeheads; and the other battalion was on the edge of the stream ready for the orders to advance to the attack, when word came that the armistice had been signed by Germany.
- A half century of hard and conscientious work on the part of officers and men had been rewarded— the 146th Infantry goes down in history as having been in the very front line when the end come. That this end should fing [sic] the 146th with its division in Belgium — Flanders’ fields where the poppies blow, between the crosses row on row, is a source of the keenest satisfaction to every officer and man in the regiment. We had caught up the torch thrown to us by our Allies as they fell, we held it high, we did not break faith, The hundreds of Americans who gave up their lives while wearing British and Canadian uniforms may rest peacefully beneath the sod— aye, and those of our own division who did not give up their lives in vain.
- Records show that the regiment is the oldest in continuous service, coming out of Ohio. These same reports show that this regime has had more state and federal service than other regiments in existence. It was on duty during the famous court house riots in Akron, more than a quarter of a century ago, its members patroled [sic] the coal mine strike at Dillonvale and surrounding territory: again it was sent to Martins Ferry, when the famous steel mill strike got beyond control of the local authorities.
- Still again it was called to Youngstown where such a reign of terror lawlessness as Ohio had never seen prevailed for a night and half that city was burned or blown up by a frenzied mob. Again when the disastrous floods covered southern Ohio in the spring of 1913 the old 8th Ohio did valient [sic] service. Its commanding officer with four companies worked his way over a treacherous half overturned railroad bridge across the rearing Miami river and entered Dayton. The lieutenant colonel of the regiment with eight companies was sent to Zanesville, there the destruction by the flood was as great as Dayton. In those two cities the regiment served for fifteen days, for which received high praise from Governor Cox.
- Its record in the service of its country is equally valient [sic]. The Eighth Ohio was one of the first to be recruited to full strength when volunteers were called for by President McKinley for the Spanish-American War. McKinley’s home was in Canton, which city boasted three companies in the regiment and it soon became known as “McKinleys Own” [sic]. It was sent as a part of the Army of Occupation to Cuba, where it underwent the hardships of a fever ridden territory and lost many of its members through sickness.
- Immediately after muster-out of the Federal service, following the Spanish-American War, the regiment was re-organized by its officers and was headed by Colonel Charles F. Dick, who a few months later was promoted to the command of the Division, the vacancy being filled by the promotion of Lieutenant Colonel Edward Vellrath to the command of the regiment, (later a Brigadier General in the A. M. F.). Under his leadership there was always great activity within the ranks of the organization and so efficient did it become that it was twice selected as the regiment to represent the state at the inauguration of two of its presidents, McKinley and Taft.
- The Regiment was one of those selected from Ohio for service on the Mexican border during the summer of 1916. It responded to the call of the President on June 19, mobilizing with other Ohio troops at Camp [_]illis, Columbus, June 29 and remained there until the last of August when it was sent to El Paso, Texas, and became a part of the II division, under command of General George T. Bell. It served on the boarder until March 1917, and it was its training there that gave it an excellent start for the bigger things that were to be required of it in the World War of 1917-18. It was its training there that gave it an excellent start for the bigger things that were to be required of it in the World War of 1917-18. [sic] It was mustered out of federal service, March 22, 1917, at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana.
- On July 15, 1917 , the regiment was again called into the federal service for the European conflict. During the interim between March and July every officer and member of the regiment, bent every effort to improve himself and prepare for the great conflict. Frequent conferences of officers were held by Colonel Vellrath, and various companies were continuously impacted by him. Recruiting campaigns were put on in the home rendezvous of the companies with the result that when the call again came for service the regiment was practically at war strength under the thhn [sic] tables of organization. some companies had enlisted as high as 200 men and these were transfered [sic] to smaller companies.
- Shortly after being taken into the federal service, Colonel Vellrath was promoted to the grade of Brigadier General and left the regiment. Lieutenant Colonel Frank C. Gerlach, and remained in that capacity, until the organization went to Camp Sheridan, Alabama, for its period of intensive training. With the exception of Companies A and C, the regiment spent the first ten weeks in its home stations. Companies A and C proceeded it a month to the training camp to prepare the place for occupancy. Some of the companies immediately went under the canvas at their home stations, getting into the military spirit at once. Others remained quartered in their armories, where they had suitable buildings, and “carried on” with their recruiting instructions.
- The regiment arrived at Camp Sheridan, October 1st, and Colonel C. C. Weybrecht, who had been former Lieutenant Colonel and had been promoted to colonel of the 10th Ohio Infantry when he organized that new unit, retuned to his old organization as its commander, the 10th having been converted into three machine gun battalions for the divisional organization.
- In the latter part of October, 1917, the regiment was greatly strengthened by the absorption of the 2nd Ohio Infantry. The latter has a history nearly as old as that of the Eighth. Under the new tables of organization there were only four infantry regiments to a division, so the second had been paced in the depot brigade. Most of its line officers and its enlisted personnel were transfered [sic] to the eighth, which was given the new numerical designation of the 146th Infantry.
- The regiment remained at Camp Sheridan from October 1, 1917, until May 21, 1918, during which time it through [sic] a period of intensive training, fitting itself for the bigger task in France. Few changes were made in the officers during that time and most of those who had been assigned when the regiment was first designated as the 146th Infantry came with it to France. On May 21, 1918, The regiment moved to Camp Lee, Va., where it was filled to full war strength and completely equipped for overseas. The organization left Camp Lee, June 13 for New York and embarked on the U. S. S. Leviathan, sailing from New York on June 15th and arriving at Brest, France, June 22. The trip was uneventful.
- At Brest the organization was billeted in the famous Pontanezen Barracks for three days, then moved to Bourmont in eastern France, where the intensive training was renewed until the latter part of July, when it went to the Baccarat Sector on the Alsace-Lorraine border and began its active work of helping lick the Hun. The story of those bays from Baccarat to the Armistice is for the 146th Infantry, similar to the battle story of other Infantry regiments, which saw front line duty. It is a story in which long night marches, French six cars, “Chink” tracks, rain and mud, clod and hunger, and Hun shells and bullets and aeroplanes played an important part. But for the 146th Infantry as an organization it was also a story of achievement, of constant going forward, of victory against a determined and resourceful enemy.
- Of the 104 days from the time the regiment took over a sector of the line near Baccarat to the morning of November 11th, when it lay along the Escault River, in Belgium, ready for a new attack, 76 days were spent facing the Hun across a narrow “No Mans Land” or driving him from positions which he had taken years to strengthen.
- Detraining at Baccarat on July 31, 1916, regimental headquarters was established in Vacqueville. Guides who had been sent ahead of the regiment several days previous met the various units and took them to their positions in the line relieving corresponding units of the 77th Division, American, The First Battalion look over the front line and the second and third battalions, kept in reserve positions During the seven weeks which followed each of the Battalions had their turn at front line duty and the regimental machine gun company and the special arms or the Headquarters Company, were employed as auxiliary troops. During this time all units were able to put into actual use some of the principles that had been taught in camp and training area, as well as getting a good idea of the methods employed in stationary warfare which was then being carried on along so large a part of the Western front. Frequently night patrols between the lines, and occasional raids by the enemy on our “Petit [_]osts” aeroplane battles and a daily exchange of ammunition between the Allied and enemy artillery kept life interesting for green troops, and when the 146th was relieved on the night of September 16th by the 7th French Infantry it had received which was to prove of value in the gruelling [sic] tests which were to follow.
- With “destination unknown” the regiment entrained at Baccarat on September 17th moved by train to Revigny, thence by marching to Haironville on September 18th and from this latter place by truck on September 20th to the Recicourt Area, about 15 kilometers east of Verdun. On September 22nd the Second Battalion took over a portion of the line near Avocourt relieving the 313th French Infantry. The remainder of the regiment went into camp in woods north of Recicourt until the Argonne Offensive opened on the morning of September 26th.
- On the first day of the offensive, the First Battalion was used as a Brigade reserve. Co. M. in command of Captain Allen was assigned to the difficult task of maintaining liaison between the Division and the 79th Division on our right and the remainder of the regiment constituted part of the division reserve, under Colonel J. N. Pickering. On the first day the 1st Battalion relieved units of the 145th Infantry, on the front line southwest of Montfaucon, and after darkness had fallen the Second Battalion moved to a position a few hundred yards west of Montfaucon, the plan being to attack this citadel early on the following morning. At daybreak on the 27th patrols from this battalion began working towards the outskirts of Montfaucon and it was during the fighting that there occurred, that the regiment suffered it first serious casualties, several of the patrols met stiff resistance, especially from enemy machine gunners. One patrol in command of Lieutenant Michael Dierdorf of Co. F. was practically annihilated and Lieutenant Dierdorf himself was killed. Another command by Lieutenant Fred Kochli of Co. H, not only inflicted serious loss to the enemy but captured a number of prisoners and three field pieces. the germans [sic] were forced to give up their positions and early in the day evacuated the city to troops of the 145th Infantry and the 79th Division, who entered it with little resistance.
- With regimental headquarters established in an orchard about 1000 yards west of Montfaucon, the regiment was reorganized for further advance. Twice during the afternoon and evening efforts were made to push our lines forward, from the orchard but it was impossible to make any material gains, in the face of the terrific artillery fire of the enemy, and practically no artillery support. Resulting in a large number of casualties. Orders to renew the attack at daybreak on the 28th were issued during the night. The second battalion was designated to take up the front line waves, followed in order by the first and third battalions in artillery formation, with some artillery support and strengthened by the moral effect of seeing troops on both flanks advancing at the same time, our troops during the forenoon covering a distance of 3 kilometers in spite of steady resistance. Crossing the railroad tracks leading from Montfaucon to Sierges. Companies of the second battalion captured by assault the hill to the northeast of Sierges, which became known throughout the Division as “Manynahn’s Hill” This position was tenaciously held against German counter-attacks and incessant artillery and machine gun fire. While the second battalion was accomplishing its different mission, the first and third battalions, advanced to the front lines and occupied positions in the wooded area southwest of Sierges. The third battalion remaining in this vicinity. The [redacted] first battalion, during the night of the 28th was moved to the hill north east of Sierges, to reinforce the second battalion. regimental headquarters, the advance dressing stations, and ration distributing center, have been established north of Montfaucon-Sierges railroad tracks, and remained there from the 28th until all units of the regiment were relieved on the night of September 30th be troops of the 32nd Division.
- In being relieved the regiment made one move to the Bois de Montfaucon and another near Recicourt, moved on October 2nd. by tracks to the Void and then made three long marches to the Pannes Sector on the St. Mihiel front taking over the front line from the unites of the 89th Division on the 7th of October. Regimental headquarters were established at Beney, the first and second battalions occupied trenches near [_]ammes, and the third battalion remained in billets at Boulionville. Worn out by the Argonne fighting and the long marches which followed, our troop suffered heavily from sickness during the time spent in this sector.
- Relieved on the 16th by the 111th Infantry the regiment moved by trucks and train and marches to Toul. Entrained at Toul on October 19th arrived near Ypres Belgium on October 21 and proceeded to area near Thielt where where on October 29th orders were received for the first Ypres-Lys offensive. Acting as a part of the division reserve during this action, the first and second battalions, occupied positions of comparative safety, while the third battalion as Brigade reserve suffered a number of casualties.
- Relieved on November 4th, the regiment went into billets at Muelbeke on the 5th, remaining there until the 8th, when it started again for the front, arriving in the vicinity of Voorde. On the evening of the 9th regimental headquarters, headquarters company and the machine gun company, went into billets near the cross roads at Voorde about a mile east of the Escaut River: The first battalion was at Huysse, the second at Auwegem, the third at Beke.
- Orders for the Second Ypres-Lys Offensive to start in the morning of November 11th has already been issued. The 146th was to be the attacking regiment of the 73rd Brigade. Its duties were to relieve the French on the left bank of the Escaut river, to cross it and to penetrate the enemy territory on the right bank. At about 2 A.M. of November 10th Colonel Pickering received word that the plans for the attack had been advanced twenty-four hours, and that it would be made that morning. Two companies of the 1st battalion were sent to Syngem to assist the Engineer in bridging the [redacted] Escaut at that place. Word was sent to Major Collins of the third battalion to attempt [redacted] a crossing of the river early on the 10th at any available place south of Syngem. Captain Ustine commanding the second battalion was ordered to have his troops as Syngem early in the morning, ready to cross on the bridges to be constructed. The third battalion crossed the river at Houvel without any resistance. Considerable difficulty was met however in building the bridges at Syngem, due to the heavy enemy fire, and it was late in the afternoon before companies F and G were able to cross at that point. In the meantime Companies E and H were sent across at Heuval, were regimental headquarters were established and the first battalion was held as reserve. Both the 2nd and 3rd battalions made rapid advances, until when held up by darkness their lines were extended parallel with the river and passing through the town of Nederzwalm. Orders for a well organized attack on the morning of the 11th were in the battalion commanders’ hands when at 2 A.M. word was sent from Brigade headquarters indicating that the Armistice would probably go into effect that day. Later orders confirmed this report and on the 11th while regimental headquarters were being established at Nederzwalm, three patrols, sent out from the leading battalion advanced before 11 A.M. to the towns of [sic].
- The regiment remained in the vicinity of Nederswalm until November 21th when it moved to the billeting aera near Lindelde. Leaving Lindelde on December 4 The march across “No Mans Land” began. Resting in the vicinity of Esquelbec for ten days; headquarters were finally established at Reberouck on December 17, remaining there until January 12, when the train trip to the LeMans area began. The regiment entrained in the Esquelbec area on January 12, 1919, arriving in the St Dennis area January 14th moving to Vivoin, and after a through delousing, entraining for Brest arriving their on March 3, 1919, embarking on the U. S. S. Maui, March 18 debarking at Hoboken, N. J. on March 31, 1919. At Brest the regiment was formed into detachments to be sent to the camps within the various draft areas. The regimental organization with the Ohio contingent was kept intact, and sent to Camp Sherman, Ohio, where it was discharged on April 13, 1919.
Page 6 is not included in the file.
The home rendezvous of the companies of the 146th are as follows:
Headquarters Co., Akron; Supply Co., Mansfield; Machine Co., Akron; Sanitary Detachment, Akron; Co. A, Bucyrus; Co. B, Akron; Co. C, Canton; Co. D, Wooster; Co. E, Ashland; Co. F, Akron; Co. G, Wadsworth; Co. H, Shreve; Co. I,
Tiffin; Co. K, Alliance; Co. L, Galion; Co. M, Mansfield.
The officers of the regiment since its organization as the 146th Infantry are as follows;
Colonel; Edward Vollrath, Charles C. Waybrecht, Robert L. Hubler, James N. Pickering, F. C. Gerlach.
Lieutenant: Colonel; Frank C. Gerlach, Timothy J. Moynahan, William H. Beck, (attached), Ernest O. Thompson.
Major: Ralph G. Sayre, Willis Bacon, William E. Walkup, Marcus R. Limb, Leroy J. Linn, Timothy J. Moynahan, Lyman D. Turner, Edward H. Collins, Jesse B. Blue, Charles S. Slade, Edward P. Lawlor.
Captain Adjutants; Grover G. McCoy, Orville E. Clark, Marcus R. Limb, Lyman D. Turner, Jesse B. Blue, George F. Griffith.
Personal Adjutant; Captain Henry A. Sprow.
Supply Officer; Captain J. Earl Ports.
1st Battalion Adjutants; Lieutenants Ralph A. Schad, George F. Davenport, Julins A. Stark, Ralph W. James.
2nd Battalion Adjutants; Lieutenants: Warren J. Keister, Chester W. Rupert, George S. Ashman, Charles W. Andrews.
3rd Battalion Adjutants; Robert L. Bride, Charles E. Murphy, Hugh A. Stevenson.
Attached medical officers: Major Harry B. Bertlette, Captain Charles A. Howland, Captain Joseph H. Bontwell, Captain Russell J. Caton, Captain William H. Hicks, Lieut. Lawrence E. Todd, Lieut. Morris Mendleoff, Captain Leon M. Muedekin, Lieut. William E. Jackson, Lieut. Everett E. Alexander, J. C. Hawkins, and Francis A. Boylan.
Chaplain: Captain William A. Atkinson, Lieut. Abner L. Fraser.
Capt. G. G. McCoy
1st Lieut. George F. Griffith
1st Lieut. Louis E. Snyder
1st Lieut. George B. Davenport
1st Lieut. Walter D. Riggen
1st Lieut. Justin McElroy
2nd Lieut. Morris Rexroad
2nd Lieut. Ernest Malone
2nd Lieut. Ralph W. Oldham
2nd Lieut. Louis Baxter
2nd Lieut. Ralph Jones
Capt. J. E. Ports
1st Lieut. James G. Graham
1st Lieut. William B. Wilcox
1st Lieut. I. N. Allen
1st Lieut. Warren J. Keister
1st Lieut. Louis C. Baxter
2nd Lieut. Edward L. Bolce
2nd Lieut. Thomas Sullivan
MACHINE GUN CO.
Capt. Ralph L. Randall
Capt. Donald F. Pierce
1st Lieut. E. E. Kiplinger
1st Lieut. Ralph A. Jackson
1st Lieut. Raymond E. Day
2nd Lieut. Ray E. Stranb
2nd Lieut. Herbery V. _artyn [sic]
2nd Lieut. Kenneth C. Sebring
2nd Lieut. George H. Jarvis
Capt. Dean F. Bair
1st. Lieut. George B. Davenport
1st Lieut. Ervie R. Hoover
1st Lieut. Melvin Colson
1st Lieut. Charles V. Vollrath
2nd Lieut. Charles I. McNeal
2nd Lieut. Gavin Harris
2nd Lieut. Justin McElroy
Captain Sammel J. Cole
1st Lieut. Emil F. Marx
1st Lieut Walter Riggin
1st Lieut William Ulrich
2nd Lieut. Thomas D. Wever
2nd Lieut Daniel C. Webster, Jr.
2nd Lieut. Ray E. Bowland
2nd Lieut. Somon D. Den Uyl [sic]
2nd Lieut. Ralph W. Jones
Capt. Herve W. Miner
1st Lieut William G. Stutzman
1st Lieut. Willard O. Lindamood
1st Lieut. Frank M. Cook
1st Lieut. John R. Madden
1st Lieut. Gavin H. Harris
COMPANY C continued
1st Lieut. Karl F. Meyer
1st Lieut. Herbert I. Smith
2nd Lieut. Henry C. Brewer
2nd Lieut. Richard M. Fisher
2nd Lieut. James G. Graham
2nd Lieut. Harry C. Collins
Capt. Marcus R. Limb
Captain Fred C. Redick
Capt. Henry C. Sprow
1st Lieut Walter C. Yost
1st Lieut. Julius A. Stark
1st Lieut Karl P. Apt
2nd Lieut. Harry Bristol
2nd Lieut Frank A. Kromer
2nd Lieut George S. Ashman
Capt. Jesse B. Blue
1st Lieut. Miles D. McCarty [redacted]
1st Lieut. William S. Uhalmers
1st Lieut. Charles W. Andrews
1st Lieut. Chester W. Rupert
1st Lieut. Walter W. Von Schlicten
2nd Lieut. Walter L. Riggin
2nd Lieut. Samiel A. Durant
Capt. William G. Yontz
Capt. Charles P. Ustine
1st. Lieut. George A. Strick
1st Lieut. Michael Dierdorf
1st Lieut. Warren L. Farver
1st Lieut. Floyd Smith
2nd Lieut. Boyd Carroll
2nd Lieut. Galen Berthold
2nd Lieut. Arthur W? [sic] Ecton
2nd Lieut. Howard Witacre
2nd J. S. Dillion
2nd Lieut. Louis Schoenberg
Capt. Frank C. Hilliard
Capt. Merlia Mitchell
1st Lieut. Fenton L. Miller
1st Lieut. Harry H. Kerr
1st Leut. Ralph E. Neidhart
1st Lieut. Ben L. Kipler
COMPANY G continued
1st Lieut. Pierre Hill
2nd Lieut. Burt Kunkler
2nd Lieut. Ralph A. Schad
2nd Lieut. Oland P. Hillard
2nd Lieut. Reed O. Fosnight
2nd Lieut. Douglass Oviatt
2nd Lieut. Clifford McGilliard
Capt. Emmet W. Eddy
Capt. Harry H. Kerr
1st Lieut. Lewis C. Crawford
1st Lieut. Edward F. Evans
1st Lieut. Ralph Jackson
1st Lieut. Fred J. Kochli
2nd Lieut. William A. Campbell
2nd Lieut. Donald V. Sonnett
2nd Lieut. Dora Hoffman
2nd Lieut. Ronald C. Thucbel
2nd Lieut. Arthur W. Eckton
2nd Lieut. Russell Griffin
Capt. Alton A. Drinkwater
Capt. Edward H. Collins
1st Lieut. Perry J. Funk
1st Lieut. Thomas D. Wever
1st Lieut. Lawson F. Smelts
2nd Lieut. Walter A. Sorg. [sic]
2nd Lieut. Hugh M. Stephanson
2nd Lieut. Donald F. McGonigal
2nd Lieut. Cloyd M. Kepner
Capt. Paul J. LeMarche
1st Lieut. Fred J. Kochli
1st Lieut. Robert Kennedy
Capt. Albert Mitchell
1st Lieut Ames Batt
1st Lieut. Carleton W. Shaw
1st Lieut. Benjamin F. Harris
2nd Lieut. Francis B. Wood
2nd William Bruce
2nd Lieut. Judson Leary
Capt. William D. Soarbrough
Capt. Willard E. Blythe
1st Lieut. Isadore N. Gottdiener
1st Lieut. Fred U. Nail
1st Lieut. [redacted] Joseph G. Capertoun
1st Lieut. R. R. Luhn
2nd Lieut. Charles T. Beaupre
2nd Lieut. Thomas G. Smith
Capt. Alfred I. Harrington
Capt. Lyman D. Turner
Capt. Albert L. Allen
1st Lieut. Robert L. Bride
1st Lieut. Judson A. Leary
1st Lieut. Roland H. Rodgers
1st Lieut. Russell J. [redacted] Meyers
1st Lieut. Harry W. Warren
1st Lieut. Daniel O. Webster
1st Lieut. Edwin C. Richardson
1st Lieut. John M. Unkerford
2nd Lieut. J. R. Steel
2nd Lieut. Claud P. Hillard
2nd Lieut. C. E. Fraser Clark
2nd Lieut. John C. Mehl
2nd Lieut. Orvie V. Church
Page 12 is not included in this file.
Page 13- Daily Record of Events
DAILY RECORD OF EVENTS— 146TH INFANTRY
September 29, 1917: Entrained at Wooster, Ohio, for Camp Sheridan, Alabama.
October 1, 1917: arrived at Camp Sheridan
May 22, 1918: Left Camp Sheridan for Camp Lee, Virginia.
May 23, 1918: Arrived at Camp Lee
June 12, 1918: Entrained at Camp Lee
June 15, 1918: Arrived at Hoboken, N. J.— Loaded on S. S. Leviathan
June 15, 1918: Sailed for France
June 22, 1918: Arrived at Brest Harbor, France
June 23, 1918: Debarked— Marched to Pontanezen Barracks
June 26, 1918: Entrained at Brest
June 28, 1918: Detrained at Bourmont
June 29, 1918: Marched to Sommercourt
June 24, 1918: Marched to Bourmont and entrained
June 25, 1918: Detrained at Mayen — marched to Rambervillers
July 31, 1918: Marched Rambervillers to Vaqueville
Sept 16, 1918: Relieved by 7th Infantry (French) and marched to Reville
September 17, 1918: March from Reville to Baccarat. Entrained
September 18, 1918: Detrained at Revigny. Marched to Haironville.
September 20, 1918: Embussed in French trucks and proceeded to woods near Recicourt
September 21, 1918: Moved to woods north of Recicourt
September 26, 1918: Argonne— Meuse drive
September 30, 1918: Relieved by the 32 division, American
October 1, 1918: Marched from “Dead Man’s Hill” to Recicourt
October 2, 1918: Embussed in French trucks and proceeded to woods near Void
October 3, 1918: Marched to Jucy
October 4, 1918: Marched to Hamonville
October 6, 1918: Marched to Bebey. Relieved by 89th Division in St. Mihiel sect.
October 16, 1918: Relieved by 28th Division. Marched to Essey
October 17, 1918: Entrained on narrow guage railroad and proceeded tp [sic] Toul
October 19, 1918: Marched to Dongermain. Entrained
October 21, 1918: Detrained at Bosinghe, Belgium
October 22, 1918: Marched to Staten
October 23, 1918: Moved to farm two Miles outside of Staten
October 26, 1918: Marched to Lichtervelde
October 28, 1918: Marched to Thielt
October 30, 1918: Marched to Oesselghelm
October 31, 1918: First day of 1st phase, Ypres—Lys Offensive
November 4, 1918: Relieved by French troops. Marched to Muelbeke
November 8, 1918: Marched to Deynze
November 9, 1918: Marched to cross roads, at Voordes
November 10, 1918: First day of 2nd phase, Ypres—Lys Offensive
November 11, 1918: Armistice signed halted at Heuval—Mscaut River
- Marched to Nededzwalm
November 17, 1918: King Albert, of the Belgiums, visited the regiment
November 18, 1918: Nederwalm — to Velsique-Ruddershowe by march
November 21, 1918: Velsique to Heeds-Aspers by march
November 22, 1918: Aspers to Denterghem by march
November 23, 1918: Denterghem to Lendelede by march
December 4, 1918: Lendelede to Sleyhaage by march
December 5, 1918: Sleyhaage to Proven by march
December 7, 1918: Proven to Esquelbecq by march
December 17, 1918: Esquelbecq to Rubrouck by march (Regiment awarded Belgium War Crosses at Esquelbecq.
January 12, 1919: Rubrouck to Esquelbecq by march Entrained at Esquelbeq
January 14, 1919: Arrived at St. Dennis
February 18, 1919: St. Dennis to Vivoin by march
March 2, 1919: Entrained at Vivoin
March 3, 1919: Detrained at Brest and marched to Pontanezen Camp
March 18, 1919: Marched from Camp Pontanezen to Brest and embarked in the U U.S.S Maui.
March 31, 1919: Debarked at Hoboken, N. J. and entrained for Camp Dix.
April 3, 1919: Entrained at Camp Dix.
April 4, 1919: Arrived at Akron, Ohio.
April 5, 1919: Paraded at Akron
April 5, 1919: Arrived at Canton
April 6, 1919: Paraded at Canton
April 7, 1919: Arrived at Columbus
April 7, 1919: Paraded at Columbus
April 7, 1919: Arrived at Camp [redacted] Sherman
April 13, 1919: Regiment discharged
Colonel Frank C. Gerlach
- Wooster, Ohio