Dalton, Ohio, is a village located in the northern part of Sugar Creek Township in Wayne County, Ohio.
Dalton was formed from three separate towns that came before it. These are Dover, Sharon, and Middletown. Dover was surveyed on October 16, 1817 by A. Porter for Rev. James Adams. It had 46 lots when originally laid out. Sharon was surveyed on March 29, 1828 by C. W. Christmas and had 30 lots. Middletown was laid out by Jacob Switzer and John Jameson, and was surveyed by William Henderson on December 27, 1828. It had 54 in-lots and 11 out-lots.
The three towns eventually joined to become Dalton, which was incorporated on August 14, 1856.
1873 Caldwell's Atlas of Wayne County, Ohio
1897 Caldwell's Atlas of Wayne County, Ohio
- Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 847.