Yocum's Wooster Business College

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Yocum's Wooster Business College
Type Business & Secretarial Schools; Technical and Trade Schools
Industry Educational Services
Fate Dissolved
Predecessor(s) Bixler's Business College
Successor(s) Yocum's-Bixler Business College; Wooster Business College
Headquarters Wooster, Ohio, United States
Number of locations 143 N Market St, Wooster, Ohio
Yocum's Wooster Business College
Established 1853 (1853)
Type Business College
President O. M. Yocum and H. G. Yocum
Location Wooster, Ohio, United States

In the spring of 1886, Professor Gideon Bixler founded the school that became known as the Wooster Business College. From its inception the school was dedicated to the training of students in basic commercial skills for employment.

The Yocum brothers of Wooster purchased the school in 1901 and located it in the Quinby 1887 building, also known as the former location of the William Annat Company, on the southwest side of the Public Square in Wooster, Ohio. In 1916 the name of the school was officially changed to Yocum's Business College, and course offerings were expanded to include law and advanced accounting. Night classes were first offered during that same year of 1916.

Locations[edit | edit source]

City Directories[edit | edit source]

Comprehensive History[edit | edit source]

In the spring of 1886, Professor Gideon Bixler founded the school that became known as the Wooster Business College. From its inception the school was dedicated to the training of students in basic commercial skills for employment.

The Yocum brothers of Wooster purchased the school in 1901 and located it in the Quinby 1887 building, also known as the former location of the William Annat Company, on the southwest side of the Public Square in Wooster, Ohio. In 1916 the name of the school was officially changed to Yocum's Business College, and course offerings were expanded to include law and advanced accounting. Night classes were first offered during that same year of 1916.

In 1925, Ohio M. Yocum built a new facility for the college at 143 N. Market street. The Yocum building later housed Wooster Office Equipment, Inc. until it was destroyed by fire.

During the summer of 1935, the college was bought by C. W. Dunn, who moved it to the north side of Public Square into the Downing Block building. Dunn renamed the school, Wooster Business College. Under his administration the school became a member of The Ohio Business Schools Association.

Charles E. Spitler, president of the college from 1946 to 1976, was the next to purchase the school; he made the Wooster Business College a division of the Ohio Institute of Business. Other divisions then offered courses in drafting and key-punch training. The college was granted the privilege of awarding two-year Associate Degree in Business by the State of Ohio in 1971. The school was incorporated on July 1, 1972.

Because of increasing enrollments, new classrooms and offices were opened in 1975, in the East Ohio Building, one block from Public Square. In 1977 all offices and classrooms remaining in the Downing Block were relocated into the East Ohio Building.

In May of 1986, Business Training Systems, Inc. purchased Wooster Business College and opened a branch on Euclid Ave. in Cleveland, Ohio.[1]

Slogans[edit | edit source]

Historical documents[edit | edit source]

  • Wooster City and Wayne County Directory, compiled by S. E. Neikirk and P. W. Snyder, September 1904, p. 8. [2]

Timeline[edit | edit source]

Gallery[edit | edit source]

1917[edit | edit source]

Business Letterheads[edit | edit source]

Business Photos[edit | edit source]

Maps[edit | edit source]

Newspaper articles[edit | edit source]

Newspaper full-text articles[edit | edit source]

Newspaper ads[edit | edit source]

1917[edit | edit source]

1919[edit | edit source]

Newspaper citations with no attached images[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Wooster City and Wayne County Directory, compiled by S. E. Neikirk and P. W. Snyder, September 1904, p. 8.
  2. Wooster Daily Republican. Wooster, Ohio, 1917-03-22, p. 3
  3. Wooster Republican. Wooster, Ohio, 1917-10-31, p. 3.
  4. Wooster Daily News. Wooster, Ohio, 1917-10-01, p. 6.
  5. Wooster Republican. Wooster, Ohio, 1919-10-31, p. 3.

What Links Here[edit | edit source]