Wooster Republican, Business Abstracts 1871

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Wooster Republican April 6, 1871[edit | edit source]

New style photography, 3 large heads made 2.00 per dozen, all week, work warranted by Theodore Teeple and Co., NE corner of square.
New firm, Black and Rowland, bakery, corner of Walnut and W Liberty Streets, formerly occupied by D Black.
TS Johnson, banker, SW side of square, one door north of WC National Bank.
B Barrett and Co., steam engines, E Liberty Street.
Wooster City Lumber Yard, Emrick, Barrett and Co., corner of Larwill and Bever Streets.
Wenger and Roth, dry goods, SW side of square, one door south of WC National Bank.
L Shibley, watches, clocks and jewelry, NE side of square, two doors north of post office.
Dentists and doctors are same and lawyers are same.
Dr. George Liggett, physician and surgeon, over Shibley Jewelry Store, two doors west of the post office, SE side of square.
JB Kock and Son, successors to McClure and Co., proprietors of American House, Wooster.
Robison and Co., at Golden corner, SW side of square, three floors of dry goods.
Dr. Snodgrass and Son have moved their drugstore from S Market Street to room one door north of post office where hope to sell to all their old customers.
RR Donnelly and Co. and Mr. Barrett and Ogden have been painting up which gives their building a neat and varied appearance.
Theodore M Weaver, glassware, queens ware, looking glass, 5 doors east of American House, Wooster.
Drs. Hart and Wilson, chemist and druggists, Column building, one door east of Zimmerman and Co. Drugstore.
Charles C Gasche, stair builder, shop on Buckeye Street.
Removal of Wayne County Bible Society to Rice and McClellan, nearly opposite the American House, Wooster.
GC French, provision store, one door east of the Express office.

Wooster Republican April 13, 1871[edit | edit source]

Snodgrass and Son announce to old customers and general public that they have moved their drugstore to one door north of the post office, SE side of square.
JK Kiebler and Co. have sold their dry goods store to David Clark and son.
Jackson Brothers are now started in new rooms NE side of square.
Menuez and Road agents for Howe Sewing Machine, are fitting up a splendid room on SE corner of square.
DQ Liggett and Co., at Acadome building for dry goods.
Notice to the public: March 27, 1871 on April 1st, we will occupy the room SE corner of square, JE Wescott as our sales room for Howe Sewing Machine Menuez and Road.
I would respectfully announce to the ladies that I have taken charge of rooms heretofore occupied by Mrs. Scotland in Mrs. Schauman’s building, carry on dress and clothing making business. Mrs. WS Rowe.

Wooster Republican April 20, 1871[edit | edit source]

Business change. Mr. JK Kiebler and Co. dry goods, sold to David Clark and son. Location, middle room of Jacobs Iron block.

Wooster Republican April 27, 1871[edit | edit source]

JH Stoll MD, Marshallville.
Dissolution of partnership of Emrick, Barrett and Co. by mutual consent by withdrawal of GW Barrett. GP Emrick, B Barrett, GW Barrett, Jacob Deer and Perry Miller.

Wooster Republican May 4, 1871[edit | edit source]

Snodgrass and Son, moved drug store to one door north of post office, SE side of square.
Theodore M Weaver for queens ware and glassware at old stand of George Howard and Co., 5 doors east of American House, Wooster.
Henry Lehman for stoves, opposite American House, Wooster, E Liberty Street.
S Woods, American Shoe Store, east room of the American House, Wooster.
PJ Power ready made clothing, west corner room of American House, Wooster.
James E Wescott, merchant tailor.
Hoelzel and Kalwasser, fancy cashmeres, 1st store south of post office, SE side of square.
McDonald and Co.. We lately visited the works viewing each department and are surprised at their great extent. The grand occupied is about 5 acres near the center of the city on W Liberty Street, North and South Walnut Street and South Street. The buildings are massive of most substantial brick, imposing in appearance and almost new, being erected in 1859. They contain all kinds of the best machinery, the whole run by a steam engine, (5 horse power), manufactured by B Barrett and Co. 1870. About 300000 are invested in the works and 200 men daily employed. They are now building 1000 of the Wooster Reaper and Mowers, 500 Wooster Thrashing Machines, 200 Wooster Clover Haulers, 1000 of plows and a numerous number of other articles used in farming. These machines are shipped and used in almost every state in the union.

The works are under the general supervision of Mr. Agnes G McDonald, chief of the firm for about 25 years. He is a native of Aberdeen and came to this country in 1840 and was employed as foreman of Partridge, Kessid and Kessiler Machine Works, Massillon, where he and Mr. Alexander Laughlin worked together until spring of 1847 when they formed a co-partnership and established the Wooster Agricultural Works. They have now been associated together over 30 years and look as if they will be co-partners for 30 years more. Being hale and hardy, both are self made men to whom the credit is due of building up from a small foundry the colossal works, the pride of our city. Mr. John T Stebens Stevenson is the superintendent and inspector of the works. The office which is on the corner of W Liberty and S Walnut Streets is under the superintendent of Mr. A McDonald, assisted by Capt. ML Barnham- cashier, David McDonald- bookkeeper, Jehial Clark as shipping clerk.

The works are divided into six departments: 1. Molding room, foreman John Stevens. They melt 10000 pounds of metal every day. 2. Finishing or machine shop, foreman William McDonald, son of Agnes McDonald, where wrought iron and steel work is done and large force employed. 3. Wood shop, foreman Robert Redinger, assist foreman SS Shilling. 4. Blacksmith shop, foreman James Eagan, where dozens of anvils are kept constantly ringing to clash of hammers in fashioning out wrought iron and steel pieces for the machines. 5. Paint shop, foreman Harry Kountz. 6. Cleaning room, foreman James Walker, where the castings are cleaned and polished for use. They are paying over 120000 a year in wages.

Wenger and Roth dry goods, fancy goods and notions, SW side of square, one door south of WC National Bank.
Commerical Bank of Wooster, GP Emrick- pres. And CV Hard- cashier, #74 Exchange block.
Charles C Gasche, stair builder, shop on Buckeye Street.
FD Belnap, boots, stationary and news dealer.
DQ Liggett and Co., in the Acadomebuilding.
Black and Rowland, bakery, corner of Walnut and W Liberty Streets, old stand of D Black.
Rice and McClellan, blank book, stationary, McSweeney block opposite American House, Wooster.
Barrett and Ogden, #3ME, clothing.
KB Kock and Son, proprietors of American House, Wooster.
Drs. Hart and Wilson, druggists and chemists, Column building, W Liberty Street.
William Spear and Son, in the new furniture wareroom on W Liberty Street, a few doors west of McDonald and Co. office, furniture and undertaking.
Palace Furniture store of Wooster, Fred Tischer, proprietor. I have goods all manufactured in Wooster of the best material by Landis Brothers, looking glass, pictures and frames, SW corner of square.
Wooster City Lumber Yard and planning mill, of Emrick, Barrett and Co., corner of Larwill and Bever Streets.
Jacob Ottman, north side of public square, for family groceries.
L Shibley, watches, clocks and jewelry, SE corner of square, two doors north of the post office.
TS Johnson, banker, SW side of square, one door north of WC National Bank.
B Barrett and Co., steam engines, E Liberty Street.
E Chatelain, watches, clocks and jewelry, SW corner of square, below the bank.
Mr. Marion E France, son of Sheriff John B France, has purchased McBride’s well known Wooster billiard room and intends refitting the hall city style.
Mr. NB Mason of Clyde, bought out MM White wholesale liquor store and continues business at old stand on W Liberty Street.
Robert N Downing rented the warehouse formerly occupied by Stibbs and Spink and in short time will be prepared to receive the volume with their produce.
Roth and Weirick.

Wooster Republican May 11, 1871[edit | edit source]

Dr. Gorgas, 2nd floor in Frances Hall, W Liberty Street.
The subscribers have permanently located in dry goods business, formerly occupied by Kiebler and Co., one door west of JC Jacobs Hardware Store in Jacobs Iron block- David Clark and Son.
Wooster City Lumber yard and planning mill of GP Emrick and Co., lumber and manufactory, corner of Larwill and Bever Streets, GP Emrick, B Barrett, Jacob Deer, Parry Miller.

Wooster Republican May 25, 1871[edit | edit source]

B Barrett and Co., steam engine and boilers. Extensive works are located on E Liberty Street near Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne and Chicago RR. The shop was built in 1858 and prospered from that beginning. They have this year erected a large brick addition which they are fitting with new machinery. The steam engines and boilers are in use all over the country at Wayne County. They are in general use at McDonalds and Co. Agricultural Works and are run by an 85 horse powered engine built by B Barrett and Co.. The paper mill engine of same power, besides many others, are made at Barrett’s shop. Mr. B Barrett superintends the whole works. He came to Wooster in 1856 from Pittsburgh, where he was foreman in James Rees steam engine shop.

Joseph C Plumer, Mayor of City of Wooster, office NE corner of square over Jackson and Co. grocery and provision business.
FD Belnap, bookseller, news dealer, three doors east of the American House, Wooster.

Wooster Republican June 1, 1871[edit | edit source]

D Robison Jr., at Golden corner.
Thomas M Weaver, queens ware, 5 doors east of American House, Wooster.
James E Wescott, dealer in foreign goods.
James C Jacobs, at Wooster Hardware Store, one door west of courthouse.
Drs. Hart and Wilson MD, druggists in Column building, W Liberty Street.
Henry Lehman, stoves, furnaces, cooking ranges, opposite the American House, Wooster.
Wenger and Roth, SW side of square, one door south of WC National Bank.
Fred Tischer, proprietor, furniture room, Palace Furniture Store of Wooster, selling furniture made by Landis Brothers, SW corner of square.
Jacob Ottman, NE corner of square, for groceries.
James B Childs, #33 and #35 E Liberty Street, for ready made clothing.
Wooster Business College, Exchange block W Liberty Street, 3rd floor, Fultz and Mastiller and Rambaugh.
WP Kinzer, grocery store in Curry’s block, E Liberty Street.
Snodgrass and Son, drugstore one door north of post office, SE side of square.
WG Liddell and Brother, manufacture of gloves, next door to Mrs. Schauman, S Market Street.
Attorney and doctors same.
E Chatelain, watches, clocks and jewelry, SW side of square, below the bank.
Black and Rowland bakery, corner of Walnut and W Liberty Streets, former stand of D Black.
Book Bindery of Rice and McClellan, in McSweeney building, nearly opposite American House, Wooster.
Perry J Power, ready made clothing, west corner room of American House, Wooster.
Barrett and Ogden, #3ME, for clothing.
Mr. Stibbs and Cunningham have opened an office on E Liberty Street, opposite J Wilhelm carriage shop.
Thomas M Weaver, china hall, 5 doors east of American House, Wooster.
RR Donnelly and Co., hardware, #2ME.
Wooster Business College, Exchange block, W Liberty Street.
B and JM Kock, successors to McClure and Co., proprietors of the American House, Wooster.

Wooster Republican June 8, 1871[edit | edit source]

Wenger and Roth, dry goods, SW side of square, one door south of WC National Bank.
We learn that WJ Rawlins has opened a new photography gallery in Wooster.
PJ Power, ready made clothing, west corner room of American House, Wooster.

Wooster Republican June 15, 1871[edit | edit source]

Having retired from the photography business, I introduce Mr. John Haynes and Mr. Noah Albright as my successors. Mr. Haynes has been engaged in my rooms as head operator for some time past and has proven himself a superior picture maker. Mr. Albright has been engaged in my rooms learning photography.

Wooster Republican July 6, 1871[edit | edit source]

James C Jacobs, Wooster Hardware Store, established 1832, one door west of courthouse.
J Zimmerman and Co., druggists, Exchange block, W Liberty Street.
FD Belnap, 3 doors east of American House, Wooster, for books and stationary.
James E Wescott clothing, on the corner of S Market Street and public square.
Rice and McClellan, book manufactory, opposite American House, Wooster.
Haynes and Albright photographers, successor to Prof. GW Doty.
Sewing machines for sale by Menuez and Road, SE corner of square.
Hoelzel and Kaltwasser, first store south of the post office.
TB Baumgardner, American Music Store, west corner room of American House, Wooster.
Theodore Weaver, china hall, 5 doors east of the American House, Wooster.
Black and Rowland bakery, corner of W Liberty and S Walnut Streets, old D Black stand.
JJ Ramseyer has moved flour and feed depot next of his warehouse to store room of SK Funk Plumber, of which he has purchased the business and continues to supply old customers in flour and feed line.
Henry Lehman, stoves and furnaces, opposite American House, Wooster.
Wenger and Roth, dry goods, SW side of square, one door south of WC National Bank.
Jacob Ottman, NE side of square.
GP Emrick and Co., Wooster City Lumber Yard and planning mill, corner of Bever and Larwill Street.
James B Childs, clothing, one door west of the American House, Wooster.
Wooster Business College, in Exchange block, W Liberty Street.
Charles C Gasche, stair builder.
WP Kinzer, grocery store, E Liberty Street, in Curry block.
Attorneys: same.
Physicians:

McClure and Sheppard.
Dentist, BS Jones, SE corner of square.
Dr. RJ Cunningham, successor to Dr. CH Hesler, office east side of S Market Street.
Joseph C Plumer, mayor office, NE corner of square, over Jackson and Co. Provision Store.
Snodgrass and Son, drugstore has moved to one door north of post office, SE side of square.
Drs. Hart and Wilson, chemists and druggists, in Column building, W Liberty Street.
Barrett and Ogden, ready made clothing, #3ME.
TS Johnson banker, SW side of square, one door north of WC National Bank.
Weaver’s China Hall, Thomas M Weaver, 5 doors east of American House, Wooster.
Samuel Woods, American Shoe Store.
GC French, provision store, one door east of Express office, W Liberty Street.
Perry Power, ready made clothing, west corner room of American House, Wooster.
Exchange Bank of Stibbs, Hanna and Co. in American House, Wooster, E Liberty Street.
L Shibley, watches, clocks and jewelry, two doors north of post office, SE side of square.
Commerical Bank of Wooster, GP Emrick- president, CV Hard- cashier, #74 Exchange block, W Liberty Street.

Wooster Republican July 20, 1871[edit | edit source]

Haynes and Albright Photographs, SE corner of square, entrance off E Liberty Street.

Wooster Republican July 27, 1871[edit | edit source]

Mrs. P Lehman has moved her fancy goods store to the Brick building opposite the US Hotel.
Wooster Whip Factory, Underwood, Hoover and Co., on the corner of W Liberty Street and Columbus Ave. Mr. WA Underwood, head of the company, came to Wooster from Wellsgille, York County, where he earned his trade. He worked in a whip factory in the east for 18 years until 1864. He concluded to go west and locate in Wooster. He commenced business by renting a room of Wm Childs on W Liberty Street, where himself and two apprentice boys commenced the manufacture of whips for local trade. His manufacture was of superior quality and known as Underwood Whip. In 1865, he took into co-partnership Abraham Hoover and in 1866, Jacob Hoover, who however died after being in business about 3 years. The number of whips manufactured is huge and during the past year, 50 hundred dozen whips, whale bone whips, 2500 dozen leather whips, 500 dozen braid and team whips, 1000 rattan and 3000 whip lashes at prices running from 90 cents per dozen to 150 per dozen. They are sold all over the country. Mr. JW Gamble is their western agent. They have also recently put in a engine built by B Barrett and Co. of Wooster. Mr. Lewis Keller and Mr. John Mergenthaler superintend the stocking department with 25 years experience. Mr. O Leach is in charge of leather whipping department, Mr. S Keister for braiding and Mr. Wesley Keller in finishing.

James Curry and Co.. Mr. Curry came to Wooster from Nashville in 1852 and entered upon a successful career as a carpenter and builder at that there were two small lumber yards in place. He was one of the first to improve east of the railroad on Pittsburgh Ave., which was then a comparative force but now a handsome part of the city. General business was under control of Mr. James Curry. The yard and shops on E Liberty Street near the railroad depot are now conducted by his sons John R and J Mick Curry. The yard and shop on North Street are managed by DC and Wellington Curry and employ a large number of men. The foreman of DC Curry and Co. on North Street, is Jacob Beam. Mr. DB Eberly is the foreman of sash and door department.

Wooster Republican Aug. 3, 1871[edit | edit source]

J Zimmerman and Co..
Drs. Hart and Wilson.
B Barrett and Co..
Hoelzel and Kaltwasser.
Black and Roland.
Snodgrass and Son.
P. Power.
FD Belnap.
Whitaker and Childs.
Haynes and Albright.
Exchange Bank, Stibbs, Hanna and Co..
Mrs. P Lehman has moved the fancy millinery store to brick building opposite American House, Wooster.
Henry Lehman.
Wenger and Roth.
Jacob Ottman.
GP Emirch and Co..
Wooster Business College, Exchange block, W Liberty Street.
Charles M Yocum.
AJ Thomas.
Rex and Jones.
Richeson and Wiley.
Welker and Downing.
Bonewitz and Carr.
Sample and Jeffries.
Physicians:

James E Wescott.
McClure and Shepard.
WG Liddell and Bro..
Donnelly, Rayl and Co., #2ME.

Wooster Republican Aug. 17, 1871[edit | edit source]

John Simon, merchant tailor, taken rooms next door to the Express office on W Liberty Street, has employed Mr. ED Whitmore as a cutter.
Dissolution of co-partnership of firm of Eckels and Wallace this day by mutual consent. The business will here after be carried on under name of JM Eckels. JM Eckels and CR Wallace, Acadome Drug Store.

Wooster Republican Sept. 7, 1871[edit | edit source]

D Robison Jr., at Golden corner.
Moving of Mrs. P Lehman fancy store to brick building, opposite American House, Wooster.
FD Belnap, three doors east of American House, Wooster for books and stationary.
Whitaker and Childs Star Clothing Store, two doors east of J Zimmerman Drug Store.
John Simon, merchant tailor, next door to express office, W Liberty Street.
RR Donnelly and Co. Hardware, #2ME.
Haynes and Albright, photographs, SE corner of square, old Prof. GW Doty gallery.
Henry Lehman, stoves, tin sheet, iron ware, roofing and spouting, opposite the American House, Wooster.
Wenger and Roth, SW side of square, one door south of WC National Bank.
Thomas M Weaver china hall, 5 doors east of American House, Wooster.
Attorneys, doctors, merchants, dentists- all the same.
JB Kock and Son, proprietors of the American House, Wooster.
Exchange Bank of Stibbs, Hanna and Co., in the American House, Wooster, E Liberty Street.
Snodgrass and Son, drugstore, SE side, 1st door north of post office.
PD Carr, for sale Temple and Jubilee organs.

Wooster Republican Sept. 14, 1871[edit | edit source]

Victory gallery, Rawlins and Co..

Wooster Republican Sept. 28, 1871[edit | edit source]

EB Childs, boots and shoes, one door east of Acadome, one door west of JB Childs clothing store.
Prof. Doty has opened a new fancy goods store, SW side of square, ladies fancy goods.

Wooster Republican Oct. 5, 1871[edit | edit source]

Hoelzel and Kaltwasser, merchant tailors, 1st door south of post office, SE side.
PD Carr, temple and jubilee organs.
TS Johnson, banker, SW side of square, one door north of WC National Bank.
Mrs. P Lehman has moved her fancy goods store to the brick building opposite the American House, Wooster.

Wooster Republican Oct. 12, 1871[edit | edit source]

Donnelly, #2ME, saddle harness.
Drugstore of Snodgrass and Son.
S Wood for boots and shoes.

Wooster Republican Oct. 26, 1871[edit | edit source]

New Lisbon salt for sale by Jacob Frick at warehouse on South Street.

Wooster Republican Nov. 2, 1871[edit | edit source]

Exchange Bank of Stibbs, Hanna and Co..
George Liggett, Acadome building.
Thomas M Weaver, china hall, five doors east of American House, Wooster.
GP Emrich and Co..
Samuel Woods, American Shoe Store.
Black and Rowland, bakery.
Doctors: same.
WG Liddell and Bro..
Joseph C Plumer, mayor of city of Wooster. Office on NE corner of square, over Jackson and Co. grocery and provision store.

Wooster Republican Nov. 2, 1871[edit | edit source]

Samuel Woods, American Shoe Store. Black and Rowland, bakery.

Wooster Republican Nov. 9, 1871[edit | edit source]

Wooster Glove Factory and city fur store.
WG Liddell and Bro., S Market Street.
CW McClure and MM Smith opened a new stove and tin store in rooms opposite Lake and Jones old stand.
WH and JL Smith announce to the public they have opened an upholstering establishment on Diamond Street, between SW corner of square and McDonalds and Co. stand.

Wooster Republican Dec. 7, 1871[edit | edit source]

TM Weaver china hall, 5 doors east of American House, Wooster.
Wooster Glove Factory and city fur store.
WG Liddell and Bro., S Market Street, manufacture of gloves and furs.
James B Childs, clothing, one door west of American House, Wooster.
Wooster City Lumber Yard and planning mill.
GP Emrich and Co., corner of Larwill and Bever Streets.
Wooster Steam Engine and Machine Shop, B Barrett and Co., E Liberty Street.
AS McClure, #6ME upstairs.
Charles M Yocum, office SW corner of square in rooms formerly occupied by Welker, Downing and Yocum.
AJ Thomas, office 1st door south of National Bank, upstairs, SW side of square.
Rex and Jones, office W Liberty Street, a few doors west of the Exchange.
Richeson and Wiley, SW side of square, upstairs, 2 doors south of WC National Bank.
Welker and Downing, office Exchange block, over Zimmerman’s drug store.
Bonewitz and Carr, office on W Liberty Street.
Sample and Jeffries, SW side of square, upstairs.
James E Wescott, clothing, corner of S Market and public square.
Whitaker and Childs, Star clothing store, two doors east of J Zimmerman Drugstore.
Donnelly and Co., hardware, #2ME.
James C Jacobs, Wooster Hardware, one door west of the courthouse.
Joseph C Plumer, mayor office, NE corner of square, over Jackson and Co. grocery and provision store.
John Simon, merchant tailor, next door to Express office, W Liberty Street, has in his employ Mr. ED Whitmore as a cutter.
Drs. Hart and Wilson, chemist and druggists, column building, W Liberty Street.
Barrett and Ogden, ready made clothing, #3ME.
WH and JL Smith, upholstering, establishment on Diamond Street, between SW corner square and McDonald and Co. Foundry.
Commerical Bank of Wooster, GP Emrich- president, CV Hard- cashier, #74 Exchange block, W Liberty Street.
PD Carr, opened agency for sale of Temple and Jubilee organs.
New railroad in Wooster Weed Family favorite sewing machine rooms, E Liberty Street, two doors east of Washington House, W Jordon agent.
Fred Schuck is still ahead in cigars, tobacco and pipe line and family groceries, E Liberty Street.
Broom Factory on Spink Street, north of Bowman Street, John Knox.
George Faber, baker and confectionary, E Liberty Street, opposite American House, Wooster, dealer in candies and fancy notions.

Wooster Republican Dec. 14, 1871[edit | edit source]

Charles C Gasche, stair builder.
Rice and McClellan, opposite American hotel in McSweeney block.
Lunch rooms at Robinson confectionary and lunch room, goods for holidays.
Mrs. Cutter and Smyser, have moved millinery establishment east side Liberty Street to south side of public square, rooms formerly occupied by Dr. Warren.

Wooster Republican Dec. 21, 1871[edit | edit source]

William A Donner, on the corner, holiday gifts and toys, E Liberty Street south side.