Wooster Fire Department
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Current Contact Information|
|Address||3333 Burbank Rd|
|City, State, Zip||Wooster, Ohio 44691|
|Phone||Phone: (330) 263-5266|
|Contact Person||Barry Saley|
|Headquarters||Wooster, Ohio, United States|
|Number of locations||510 N Market St, Wooster, Ohio|
- 1 Fires in Wooster, Ohio
- 2 Locations
- 3 City Directories
- 4 Comprehensive History
- 5 Historical Fire Departments
- 6 Rescue No. 2
- 7 No. 4
- 8 Slogans
- 9 Historical documents
- 10 Timeline
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Newspaper articles
- 13 References
- 14 What Links Here
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Rear of old City Hall - 200 E. Liberty St., Wooster, Ohio 44691
- Station 1 - 510 N. Market St., Wooster, Ohio 44691
- Station 2 - Dissolved 433 E. Highland Ave., Wooster, Ohio 44691
- Station 2 - 3333 Burbank Rd., Wooster, Ohio 44691
- Station 3 - 2255 Gateway Dr., Wooster, Ohio 44691
City Directories[edit | edit source]
Comprehensive History[edit | edit source]
Historical Fire Departments[edit | edit source]
1859[edit | edit source]
- Delaware Fire Co. No. 1: Engine House, east side Public Square, north of Liberty
- John D. Miller, Foreman
- Rescue Fire Co. No. 2: Engine House, east side Public Square, south of Liberty
- E. W. Botsford, Foreman
- Wooster Fire Co. No. 3: Engine House, north side South Street, between Market Street and Buckeye Street
Wooster Fire Company No. 1[edit | edit source]
- Wooster Fire Company Organized 1827
- This volunteer fire company consisted of two engineers, two ace men, six ladder men and two pike men. Also at this time a reservoir was sunk at the northeast corner of the public square to be used as a water supply for fire suppression. In the years that followed, additional volunteer fire companies were organized and numerous reservoirs and cisterns were placed throughout the town. Until 1868, the different fire apparatus consisted either of hand-drawn or horse-drawn hand pump fire engines, hose reels and ladder trucks.
Deluge Fire Company No. 3[edit | edit source]
- Deluge Fire Company Organized in 1868 with the assistance of the Town of Wooster, Ohio
- Purchased a Silsby fire steamer
- Silsby steam fire engine carriage.jpg
Relief Company No. 1[edit | edit source]
- Relief Fire Company Organized
- In 1896, Purchased a Allerton fire steamer which was horse-drawn, replaced the old hand pump fire engines
Rescue No. 2[edit | edit source]
- Engine House, East side of Public Square, south of Liberty. E. W. Botsford Foreman. J. W. Bartol, A. B. Lehman, Henry A. Greater, Thos. B. Ray, David Kramer, James Kelly, T. D. Miller, Michael Dice, Stephen M. Sommers, T. R. Weaver, Thomas Dice, R. R. Donnelly, G. B. Sommers, Aver Power, Matt McClure, H. H. Rowe, James L. Gray, W. R. Yergin, Hamilton Richeson, C. W. McClure, John Berry, D. Y. Black, Benj. Douglas, ____ Pierson, O. A. Wilheim, H. A. Rowe, Geo. K. Wilheim, Wm. Dice, John Stevens Jr., Wm. F. Culberton, C. O. Shiffer, Amos D. Rowe, Samuel Geitgey, Hiram M. Shaffer, John U. Heffelfinger, J. W. French, T. D. Bender, Martin Winger, John Walters, James Horner, E. B. Childs, S. P. Klinger, Christ Klinger, J. A. Clindenst, C. C. Baker, J. R. Taylor, James Taggart
No. 4[edit | edit source]
- The Roll of Relief Company, 1859 and 1860: P. T. Kissane, Samuel Michel, Jacob Schultz, W. S. McMillen, Samuel Waduck, W. Craighead, Samuel Joyce, Wm. M. Lightcap, P. C. Lightcap, James K. Shaffer, Elam Smith, J. Sloane Bissell, Joseph Hattinger, Ronald McDonald, Jesse Weddell, Abram Housekeeper, C. H. Hesler, H. G. White, Levi Lehman, A. Sommers, W. W. Firestone, W. A. Eaken, A. G. Barnett, J. R. Bowman, J. R. Curry, W. H. McClure, Daniel Funck, John Heignold, J. C. Plumer, Geo. W. Ely, A. Shipley, D. Murser, J. W. Bartol, A. S. Lehman, Henry A. Greater, Thos. B. Kayl, David Kramer, James Kelly, T. D. Miller, Michael Dice, Stephen M. Sommers, T. R. Weaver, Thomas Dice, R. R. Donnelly, G. B. Sommers, Aver Power, Matt McClure, H. H. Rowe, James L. Gray, W. R. Yergin, Hamilton Richeson, C. W. McClure, John Berry, D. Y. Black, Benj ________, ______ Pierson, Harry McClarran, Fred D. James, D. C. Curry, J. F. Barrett, M. McClarren, R. Funk, W. H. Barnham, E. Calvert, Thos. Eberhart, E. D. Whitmore, W. H. Hanson, Phil Hess, G. Barrington, E. G. Clingan, F. M. Rowe, Wm. Gray, J. A. Gray, W. A. Mann, J. A. Shively, Henry Kelly, Speers McClarran, James Walker, H. n. Weller, A. G. Patterson, Geo W. Clark, A. Johnson, Wm. Asper, H. Sterick, J. B. Sanford, I. Sinclair, J. S. Caskey, John Carter, A. Sligh, O. A. Wilheim, H. A. Rowe, Geo. K. Wilheim, Wm. Dice, John Stevens Jr., Wm. F. Culbertson, C. Shifler, Amos D. Rowe, Samuel Geitgey, Hiram M. Shaffer, John I. Heffelfinger, J. W. French, T. D. Bender, Martin Winger, John Walters, James Horner, E. B. Childs, Christ Klinger, J. A. Clindenst, C. C. Baker, J. H. Taylor, James Taggart.
Slogans[edit | edit source]
Historical documents[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
- 1837 - Established Wooster Fire Company No. 1
- 1868 - Until this year, the fire apparatus consisted either of hand-drawn or horse-drawn hand pump fire engines, hose reels and ladder trucks
- 1868 - Deluge Fire Company No. 3 established with the assistance of the Town of Wooster, purchased a Silsby fire steamer
- 1896 - The Relief Fire Company No. 4 purchased an Allerton fire steamer. These fire steamers, which were horse-drawn, replaced the old hand pump fire engines.
- 1870s - various independent fire companies formed an association creating the Wooster Fire Department and the position of fire chief to supervise fire suppression activities; the first of all twenty seven fire chiefs was James Curry. Each volunteer fire company still had its own captain in charge of the company.
- 1876 - Steamers began to decline with the development of the City Water Works in 1876, as did the system of reservoirs and cisterns.
- 1884 - December 23, No. 4 held its First Annual Re-union of the Relief Fire Company.
- 1888 - The City Of Wooster built its first city hall, located on the north side of the 200 E. Liberty St., with a fully equipped fire department located in the rear of the city hall. The first Gamewell fire alarm system was installed at this time. The fire department was then reorganized as a paid department with a paid fire chief, two paid regular firemen and a compliment of volunteer minuteman. The volunteer minutemen, known much later as reserves, were abolished in 1988. The first fire chief of the new paid department was Elmer Funk. The creation of the paid department ended the era of the independent fire companies, their company buildings sold for different uses or razed; the only fire engine company building still standing is Relief Co. No 4’s most recently occupied by Boyd's Drug Store, and presently, Tulipan Hungarian Pastry and Coffee Shop.
- 1915 - A Buick was purchased as the chiefs car
- 1916/17 - A motorized Reo fire truck was purchased
- 1917/18 - In 1917, horses were kept by the fire department; horses were sold in 1918
- 1928 - Chief Edward F. Snavely reported the purchase of a portable inhalator, a device use to assist victims of breathing difficulty. Inhalator calls were the first run on using the fire chief’s car or one of the fire trucks. Firemen attended to the victim until transport could be made by one of the local funeral home ambulances.
- 1950s - The number of emergency medical calls for assistance increased year by year
- 1959 - November, a bond issue was passed for a new city hall, new main fire station, and a new second fire station to the north of town.
- 1962 - Under the direction of Chief Lloyd S. Eberhart, the fire department moved into the new quarters in early 1962. The fire city hall was shortly thereafter razed.
- 1970s - only two funeral homes were still providing emergency ambulance service.
- 1974 - November 1, the Ohio State Legislature passed a law which intensified the requirements governing emergency medical service and the funeral homes could not afford to comply. The responsibility for providing emergency medical service fell to the Wooster Fire Department under Chief Edward F. Schuch. Additional personnel were hired, trained in emergency victim care and two ambulances were purchased. Emergency medical service officially began November 1, 1974
- 1976 - a third ambulance was purchased primarily for transfers from Wooster Community Hospital to out of town medical facilities.
- 1995 - Chief M. Victor Haugh began to initiate a paramedic program for the Wooster Division of Fire
- 1997 - April, the City Of Wooster approved the proposed training program and purchase of the necessary equipment. Medic training takes 11 months with classroom study and practical work in emergency departments and with other fire departments.
- 1997 - July, the department became paramedic operational with those personnel who already had their training
- 1999 - March, the base level of 18 certified paramedics had been achieved.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Business Letterheads[edit | edit source]
Business Photos[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Newspaper articles[edit | edit source]
Newspaper full-text articles[edit | edit source]
Newspaper ads[edit | edit source]
Newspaper citations with no attached images[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Credit for majority of information comes from the Wooster Fire Department website where information was gathered by: Douglas C. Myers, Records Specialist, Retired, Wooster Division of Fire