Utilities Sector Summary

From Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The utilities sector includes general infrastructure services such as electrical power generation, natural gas distribution, water supply and sewer maintenance, and trash collection.

The first water works was established in Wooster on 13 May 1811 (Bowen 418). Water was piped into Wooster from 1815 to 1829. A court order injunction ended this enterprise for many decades. On 14 May 1874 civil engineers constructed a reservoir for the safety of the town of Wooster. A natural spring located on Mr. Reddick's property just north of town was dammed. This became known as Reddick's Dam. This served until the Apple Creek pumping station was placed in operation in 1907, pumping water from the Apple Creek. On 14 January 1857, the Wooster Gas Light Company was formed. Natural gas was first introduced in Wooster in 1905 (Bowen 420). On 5 March 1886, Schuyler Electric Lighting Company of New York City was granted permission to establish electric lights in the city of Wooster (Bowen 420).