Teeple's Photography

From Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center
Jump to navigation Jump to search

. .

. .The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.... .

Wiki.png
About
Name
  • Teeple's Photography
Professional and Technical
  • Professional / Scientific / and Technical Services
  • Miscellaneous Store Retailers
Facts
Founded
  • 1864
Dissolved
  • Date unknown
Related
Key Persons
Location
Loading map...
    • 0000 W. Liberty St., Wooster, Ohio, United States
    • 0000 N. E. Corner Public Square, Wooster, Ohio, United States
    • 120 Public Square, Wooster, Ohio, United States
    • 0000 N. Market St., Wooster, Ohio, United States

ScanPage_266.jpg


Theodore Teeple was born in Cochin, Crawford County, Pennsylvania the son of Dr. Simon P. Teeple and Sarah J. Stone. Soon after Theodore's birth the family moved to the newly opened Iowa territory. Dr. Teeple died in 1850, and his wife left Iowa and settled in Medina County, Ohio. Apparently, her financial situation was strained as it was noted that Theodore attended a charity school in Stark County, Ohio. In 1860 Theodore Teeple married Elvira L. Burnham, born Apr. 26, 1841 and she died Sept. of 1862 in Chatham, Ohio.

Theodore Teeple was a dentist when the Civil War began and was drafted to serve in the 16th O.V.I. During his service he became ill, was discharged and returned to his mother's home to recuperate. In 1863 he married Jennie S. Bingham, the daughter of the doctor treating his illness. They had 3 children together. They moved to Wooster, Ohio in 1864 where he purchased the Jones' Photographic Studio on W. Liberty Street. In 1867, his brother Ralph joined him in business and it became known as Teeple & Brother. In the 1870s Teeple moved his business to N. Market Street and advertised as a Photographic and Fine Art Gallery. Teeple leased his premises to an assistant, William H. Harry, in 1873 and moved to Cincinnati, Ohio where he opened a studio on W. Fourth street. By 1877 Teeple had returned to Wooster, Ohio and reopened a studio on the public square. By the 1880s Teeple had studios in three counties: Wayne, Ashland, and Stark. In 1887, the business was called, The Trio Galleries of Wooster, Ashland, and Massillon. Later another studio was opened in Millersburg, Ohio and he was listed as operating in Orrville, Ohio between 1896-1897.

Quick Facts

Theodore Teeple and family operated a number of photography businesses under a number of different names over the years in different parts of Ohio:

  • 1864 - T. Teeple. 120 Public Square Wooster, OH
  • Teeple Bro's New Photograph Gallery Robinsons Corner, OH
  • T. Teeple & Co. N.E. Corner Public Square Wooster, OH
  • Teeple's Fine Art Gallery N.E. Corner Public Square Wooster, OH
  • 1873 - Cincinnati Art Temple Teeple, Casseday & Co., No. 100 West 4th St. Cincinnati, OH
  • T. Teeple & Co. Photographers 100 West 4th Street Cincinnati, OH
  • 1877 circa - Teeple's French Light Galleries Wooster, OH
  • Teeple's French Light Galleries Wooster and Ashland, OH
  • Teeple. Wooster, OH
  • Teeple. Wooster and Ashland, OH
  • 1887 - The Trio Galleries of Wooster, Ashland, and Massillon
  • 1894-1895 Business Directory