St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
St. Mary's Church
Location 527 Beall Ave., Wooster, Ohio
Country United States
Denomination Catholic Church
Website stmarywooster.org
History
Founded 1847 (1847)
Architecture
Status Active
Functional status Church
Architect(s) Emil Elrich, Fred Wurtrich Builder in Mansfield, Ohio
Administration
Diocese Diocese of Cleveland
Clergy
Priest(s) Father Stephen P. Moran

Locations[edit | edit source]

City Directories[edit | edit source]

Comprehensive History[edit | edit source]

Slogans[edit | edit source]

Historical documents[edit | edit source]

  • Centenary of St. Mary Church of the Immaculate Conception, 1847-1947
  • Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception Church Wooster, Ohio, 1847-2000

Yearbooks[edit | edit source]

  • 1982, 1988

Membership[edit | edit source]

Pastors of[edit | edit source]

  1. 1848-1852 - Rev. Augustine Campion
  2. 1852-1856 - Rev. George Brennan
  3. 1856-1861 - Rev. Michael O'Neill
  4. 1861-1862 - Rev. Victor Arnould
  5. 1862-1865 - Rev. Joseph Gallagher
  6. 1865-1914 - Rev. Fridolin Ankly
  7. 1914-1922 - Rev. Edward C. Kramer
  8. 1922-1933 - Rev. Michael L. Moriarty
  9. 1933-1938 - Rev. Owen L. Gallagher
  10. 1938-1945 - Rev. Richard P. Roth
  11. 1945-1950 - Rev. Edward S, Hannon
  12. 1950-1966 - Rev. Msgr. Bernard J. Weigand
  13. 1966-1973 - Rev. Thomas F. Sullivan
  14. 1973-1978 - Rev. Msgr. Thomas B. Sebian
  15. 1978-1987 - Rev. Ralph V. Coletta
  16. 1987- - Rev. John J. Mueller
  17. - Rev. Stephen P. Moran

Timeline[edit | edit source]

  • 1847 - St. Mary's Church on Madison Hill was built
  • 1847 - August 27, Cornerstone laid for church. The church is a two-story building of brick, twenty feet in the clear to the ceiling, the nave 34x65 inside, the sanctuary 18x26. A gallery extends the width of the building on the east end. Approximately 15 Catholic families were charter members.
  • 1864 - St. Mary's School house was erected under the auspices of Fr. J. F. Gallagher
  • 1865 - Spring, St. Mary's School opened with a total of 90 pupils
  • 1865 - October 27, Father Fridolin Ankly became pastor of church
  • 1866 - July 15, A new church bell, purchased in St. Louis for $1,400.00 and weighing 3,500 pounds, was consecrated by Bishop Rappe, of Cleveland, Ohio.
  • 1866 - July 15, The new church bell was elevated to the church tower.
  • 1867 - December, A new organ, purchased in Westfield, Massachussets for $1,000.00 was placed in the church.
  • 1867 - December 29, The new organ is played for the first time by Gordon French.
  • 1869 - Father Ankly purchased land for a new cemetery from David Robison, Jr., paying $200.00 per acre for ten acres.
  • 1871 - January, The old burial ground located to the south of the church was last occupied.
  • 1871 - January 10, First cemetery lot sold to Joseph Holland.
  • 1883 - March 24, Permission given by Rt. Rev. Bishop R. Gilmour to expend $4,000.00 for enlarging and improving church.
  • 1885 - May 17, Church dedicated
  • 1906-1907 - House built in 1906; completed in 1907
  • 1908 - Approximately eight families are in the parish
  • 1913 - March 19, Fire, Church burned to the ground at 2:00pm. The fire was caused by a spark from a locomotive landing on the roof of the Church.
  • 1913 - March 24, Mass in school house
  • 1913 - May 16, A meeting of entire congregation was held in school house to get sentiment and to learn the wishes of the people. Every man with the exception of one voted to build a new church rather than to repair the old walls. Subscription books given to councilmen.
  • 1913 - September 8, Subscription books returned. About $8,00.00 subscribed. Riffel's book - $150.00. Shay's book - $750.00. Herpel's book - $1,730.00. Carrolls book - $5,075.00. Balance - Pastor's book
  • 1913 - Received $12,000.00 from Insurance Companies. In October received $6,000.00 from Railroad Company.
  • 1913 - December, Carroll and Herpel went to Cleveland to see Bishop about building a new Church. Would not allow new church built on old grounds.
  • 1914 - February 11, Rev. O'Connell and O'Leary came to visit Wooster to look over properties. Favored the one at corner of Nold and Beall Avenue. The committee did not report which one they had decided on until after option expired and could not be renewed.
  • 1914 - September 20, Bishop called to come to Cleveland (Wooster?). Told to get option on the corner of Beall and Bowman.
  • 1914 - September 21, Option secured for $12,500.00.
  • 1914 - During the week of September 27, Father Ankly resigned.
  • 1914 - October 5, Property on corner Beall and Bowman bought from Ingard (Imgard) heirs for $11,500.00
  • 1914 - October 22, Father Kramer became pastor.
  • 1914 - November 8, Visit of Emil Ulrich. Told to make plans and write specifications.
  • 1914 - December 11, Council meeting as to moving house. Contract made with Fred Wurtrich of Mansfield for $300.00.
  • 1914 - December 30, Plans finished. Church to be 48 by 127.
  • 1915 - January 5, Plans read and sent to Bishop.
  • 1915 - April 30, Contract made with Emil C________ for $2,500.00 with main auditorium unfinished
  • 1915 - May 9, New church ground laid out
  • 1915 - May 24, Groundbreaking for the new church
  • 1915 - August 1, Cornerstone was laid by Monsignor Thomas C. O'Reilly
  • 1916 - April 22, First Mass in the new building; Blessing of church by Edward C. Kramer.
  • 1916 - June 7, Permission given to erect Stations of the Cross in the church
  • 1916 - August 27, Sisters property bought for #3,000.00
  • 1916 - School built
  • 1917 - April 10-11, Bell raised in belfry.
  • 1922 - Father Michael L. Moriarty assigned as pastor
  • 1925 - August 8, Permission given to use the sum of $4,100.00 toward a new organ
  • 1925 - August 29, Permission given to use the sum of $1,000.00 for additional playground space
  • 1933 - Father Owen L. Gallagher assigned as pastor
  • 1938 - Father Richard P. Roth assigned as pastor
  • 1945 - Father Edward S. Hannon assigned as pastor
  • 1946 - June 11, Father William Lee is ordained a priest at the foot of St. Mary's altar
  • 1947 - 100th Anniversary - Solemn Mass to mark the church's hundredth anniversary. Bishop Edward F. Hoban, bishop of the Cleveland diocese, offered the solemn Ponifical Mass of Jubilee and Thanksgiving
  • 1950 - Msgr. Bernard J. Weigand assigned as pastor
  • 1964 - December 5, Along with approximately 17,500 Catholic Churches throughout the Untied States. St. Mary's Church marked the beginning of the gradual use of English in the Mass.
  • 1966 - July 26, Father Thomas F. Sullivan assigned as pastor
  • 1971 - December 8, 125th Anniversary - church celebrates with a concelebrated Mass.
  • 1973 - January, Msgr. Thomas B. Sebian assigned as pastor
  • 1975 - Church renovation/repair begun. The first of two phases is begun with complete roof repairs, which halted the extensive water damage.
  • 1977 - March 26, Second of two phases of church renovation/repair started with painting and redecorating, new wall-to-wall carpeting, new kneeling benches, refinishing of the pews and raising of the Stations of the Cross to head-clearance height. These tow phases were expected to cost $70,000.00.
  • 1978 - August 15, Father Ralh V. Coletta assigned as pastor.
  • 1981 - December 8, 135th Anniversary - With Father Ralph V. Coletta as pastor, along with former pastors, Father Thomas Sullivan and Msgr. Thomas Seban and present associate pastors. Father Paul J. Rosing and Father Clyde K. Foster, St. Mary's celebrated it's 125th anniversary as a part of the Holy Day (Immaculate Conception of Mary) and marked the liquidation of the church's debt with a "mortgage burning" ceremony.

With Father Ralph V. Coletta as pastor, St. Mary's Church dedicated the new parish meeting room in honor of Bishop Edward Fenwick, the first bishop of the Cincinnati archdiocese, who died in Wooster 150 years ago. Father Coletta is also credited with instituting the construction of the offices int he basement of the church.

  • 1987 - April 1, Father John J. Mueller assigned as pastor
  • 1996 - June 23, 150th Anniversary - With Father John J. Mueller as pastor - Mass was celebrated at the Wayne County Fairgrounds.
  • 1999 - May 7, Howard Freeman of Freeman Construction Inc. was assigned the position of Construction Manager for the renovation and restoration of St. Mary's.
  • 1999 - August 15, Mass was held on the Feast of the Assumption of Mary into Heaven for the first time in the school gym (Ankly Hall) in anticipation of the up-coming renovation/restoration of the church.
  • 1999 - November 5, The first footer was laid for the new north and south-side additions to the church.
  • 1999 - November 18, Mass celebrated in church for the first time following the renovation/restoration
  • 2000 - December 8, The Most Rev. Anthony M. Pilla is expected to re-dedicated the church on this the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary. Father John J. Mueller, pastor along with former pastors, associate pastors, seminarians and sons of the parish will concelebrate the Mass. Also present will be former pastoral workers.

Gallery[edit | edit source]

Church Documents[edit | edit source]

Church Letterheads[edit | edit source]

Church Photos[edit | edit source]

Maps[edit | edit source]

Newspaper articles[edit | edit source]

Newspaper full-text articles[edit | edit source]

Newspaper ads[edit | edit source]

1917[edit | edit source]

1919[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Wooster Daily News. Wooster, Ohio, 1917-01-02, p. 1.
  2. Wooster Republican, Wooster, Ohio. 1919 March 31, p. 4.


Newspaper citations with no attached images[edit | edit source]

  • March 19, 1913: "Landmark Destroyed, Catholic Church Built 66 Years Ago, Burnt Down Today" by Unknown, Wooster Daily News, p. 1, 4.


What Links Here[edit | edit source]


Further reading[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]


External links[edit | edit source]