Sloane (surname)

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sloane (surname)
  York County, Pennsylvania
Notable members the Honorable Colonel John Sloane

Name Meaning & Origin[edit | edit source]

Cemetery records[edit | edit source]

Census records[edit | edit source]

Notes[edit | edit source]

Obituary[edit | edit source]

Pioneers[edit | edit source]

Colonel John Sloane[edit | edit source]

Prominent among the brilliant pioneers of Wayne county, was Hon. John Sloane. He was a native of York County, Pennsylvania. but at a very early period emigrated with his father's family to Washington County, Pennsylvania in the same state. From there he moved to Jefferson County, Ohio. Upon admission of Ohio into the Federal Union, Colonel Sloane attracted public attention and soon achieved the reputation as a gentleman of decided talent. In 1804 he was elected a member of the General Assembly and was reelected in the fall of 1805 and 1806. In the winter of 1807/8 while still a member of the Legislature. President Jefferson appointed him Receiver of Public Moneys of the new land office, soon to open at Canton, Ohio. During the War of 1812, he was a Colonel of Militia and an ardent supporter of the war, even advancing his own private funds to help feed and clothe the soldiers who were in need.

After the war he returned to Canton, Ohio where he was in charge of the Receiver's Office. On April 1, 1816 he and General Beall received orders from the government to removed the Land Office to Wooster, Ohio, where Sloane continued to reside. He remained in the Land Office until 1819 when he resigned, having been elected to Congress. He served five terms with distinction after which he was appointed Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas of Wayne County. The Legislature of Ohio in 1841 appointed him Secretary of State for three years. The last office which he held was Treasurer of the United States, by appointment of President Fillmore. He died May 15, 1856 in Wooster, Ohio after a short illness, aged 77 years. His fine brick house with its iron fence still stands on N. Market St.

Vital records[edit | edit source]