Shreve Library

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Shreve Library
Type Libraries (Public)
Industry Information
Fate Active
Headquarters Shreve, Ohio, United States
Number of locations 189 McConkey St., Shreve, Ohio
Parent Wooster Public Library and Museum; Wayne County District Public Library; Wayne County Public Library

In 1911, members of the St. Cecelia Choir recognized the outstanding need for a local library. This choir, which organized in 1908, was the founder of the Shreve Library. This small library was housed in Shaw's Piano Store, where the choir practiced. Their venture was successful and the Village Library was well used.

By 1935, the Shreve Library had outgrown Shaw's Piano Store and moved into the Town House. The Library came under Wooster supervision November 5, 1938. Books for use at the Shreve Library were brought in monthly from the main library and were rotated every three months.

It wasn't until 1960 that the Wayne County Library District came into being with its own Board of Trustees and budget. Up until this time, they had been a part of the Wooster City School District and governed by their own board. In 1960, the Shreve Branch became one of the four branches in the WCPL system.

The Shreve Library moved into its new building on November 20, 1972. Books were carried across the street by volunteers. In December of the same year, the Library's open hours increased from 22 to 34 each week. A formal dedication was held on January 28, 1973, however the building was not officially dedicated until November 20, 1977.

The Shreve Branch Library was renovated and expanded in 2003. It is the largest branch in the system with 7,745 square feet.

Fun Fact: The Library's Children's Department has a railroad theme. Bookshelves have been made to look like a train engine and cars.

Locations[edit | edit source]

City Directories[edit | edit source]

Comprehensive History[edit | edit source]

Manager[edit | edit source]

Staff[edit | edit source]

Slogans[edit | edit source]

Historical documents[edit | edit source]

Timeline[edit | edit source]

  • 1937 - March, Shreve, Ohio already had a library, but the members of its board voted to obtain a contract with the Wooster Public Library. [1]
  • 1937 - November 5, With the additional grant of $700 from the county extension budget, Shreve library was officially opened under Wooster supervision. [2]
  • 1968 - April 25, Shreve library benefited from the estate of Martha Bonnett Westwood a former Shreve, Ohio resident who had also been a librarian in California before her death in February 1968. Money was to be used for building for the library or improvement of the book collection. Property value exceeded $35,000. [3]

Gallery[edit | edit source]

Business Letterheads[edit | edit source]

Business Photos[edit | edit source]

Newspaper articles[edit | edit source]

Newspaper full-text articles[edit | edit source]

1874[edit | edit source]

1895[edit | edit source]

1937[edit | edit source]

1970[edit | edit source]

Newspaper ads[edit | edit source]

Newspaper citations with no attached images[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. History of the Wayne County Public Library: a research paper submitted to the Kent State University Library School in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Library Science, by Joyce A. McKnight. June, 1970, p. 31.
  2. History of the Wayne County Public Library: a research paper submitted to the Kent State University Library School in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Library Science, by Joyce A. McKnight. June, 1970, p. 31.
  3. History of the Wayne County Public Library: a research paper submitted to the Kent State University Library School in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Library Science, by Joyce A. McKnight. June, 1970, p. 61.

What Links Here[edit | edit source]