In 1878 the name on the train depot and water tank of the Atlantic and Great Western Railroad was changed from Milton Station to Ellio. This later became Arkona but the resemblance to Akron was too close. To avoid train wrecks a new name for the village became necessary. Eventually, Rittman was named in honor of Frederick Rittman who was once treasurer of the old Atlantic and Great Western Railroad and of the New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio Railroad which became the Erie. Rittman was a friend of both President William McKinley and Senator Mark Hanna. Rittman is the only town in the United States with this name.
- New Prospect (1836-1863) 
- Milton Station (1863-1879) This is the name shown on the 1873 Caldwell's Atlas of Wayne County, Ohio.
- Ellio (1879-1880)
- Arkona (1880-1881)
- Rittman (1881-present)
1897 Caldwell's Atlas of Wayne County, Ohio
Photos of Residences
Newspaper full-text articles
Newspaper citations with no attached images
- Rittman Historical Society. Picturing the Past: A Photographic Essay of Early Rittman and Milton Township. Merrick Graphics, Wadsworth, OH: 2003. Page 11