Race Track (52)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Former names||Wooster Driving Park|
|Location||Wayne County Fairgrounds|
|Town or city||Wooster, Ohio|
Comprehensive History[edit | edit source]
The first structure ever built on the Wayne County Fairgrounds was the half-mile horse racetrack in October of 1886.
Owners[edit | edit source]
Timeline[edit | edit source]
- August 1886 paper circulated to form a horse driving park association: 78 people signed-up for stock in association at $5 a share.
- September 1886 Wooster Driving Park Association formed, appointed officers, and 22-acres leased at the intersection of W. Liberty and W. Larwill streets, land surveyed.
- September 1886 decision to merge the Driving Park Association into an Agricultural Society and the next instantiation of the Wayne County Agricultural Society was born.
- October 1886 the half-mile racetrack constructed.
- November 5, 1886 the first race ever held on the new racetrack was conducted between the city's expressmen for a prize of a whip.
Photos[edit | edit source]
Newspaper articles[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wooster Republican, 1886-NOV-11 p.2
- Wooster Weekly Republican, 1886-AUG-19 p.3
- Wooster Weekly Republican, 1886-SEP-9 p.1
- Wooster Weekly Republican, 1886-SEP-9