Public administration includes local government offices as well as branch offices for state and federal government agencies; law enforcement; firefighting; and associated organizations.
According to an article found in the Wayne County Democrat on 25 July 1888, the first Volunteer fire company in Wooster, Ohio was organized in January 1827. It continued serving as a volunteer fire company for nearly 60 years. In 1888, the establishment of a Paid Department ended the Volunteer Department. Probably one of the first most devasting fire the volunteers fought was the courthouse fire of 1828.
In the 1859 directory, three fire departments were listed in Wooster, Ohio: Delaware Fire Co. No. 1 (located on the east side of the Public Square, north of Liberty); Rescue Fire Co. No. 2 (located on the east side of the Public Square, south of Liberty); and Wooster Fire Co. No. 3 (located north side of South St., between market and Buckeye).