Portal:Business/Information

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Carnegie Library 0001.jpg
The first known library in Wooster dates back to 1857. There was a small subscription fee to use the facility. The first "free" public library was started in 1897 and was known as the Wooster Public Library. Funding provided by Andrew Carnegie made it possible for the local library to have its own permanent building. The old Carnegie library was dedicated in 1905. It was razed in 1965. A new facility was built on the same site and was dedicated in 1967. The 1967 building still stands today and is home of the Administration team, Technical Services, and Bookmobile. The Wooster Friends of the Library holds booksales on the lower level. Wayne County also has 2 other public libraries: Orrville Public Library and the Fredericksburg Community Library.

Within the Information category, individuals will find a history on early theaters located in Wooster. Some include: Wallace Theatre, Schine's Wooster Theater, Wayne Theater and 2 Lyric theaters: Lyric Theatre, Lyric Twin Cinema. Other items of local interest include publishing companies, broadcasting and telecommunications.