Jump to navigation Jump to search
D. C. Curry Lumber Company is one of the oldest construction companies of Wayne County, Ohio still in existance. It was started in 1853 by James Curry. Other well-known construction companies include: Walter Jones Construction, Incorporated, Bogner Construction Company, and Campbell Construction.
To assist with the construction trade, many local companies had lumber yards and brick and tile factories. In Creston, Ohio, C. L. Matteson started the Creston Lumber Company in 1903. It was sold out 20 years later (Creston Past Almost Forgotten p. 48) to a firm located in Wadsworth, Ohio. In Doylestown, Ohio, one of the earliest brick kilns was in operation by 1834. It was built by Abraham Franks. (175th Anniversary History of Doylestown, Ohio p. 101). In Shreve, Ohio, according to the 1912-1913 directory, W. A. Keys was a contractor and builder and H. G. Rogers was in tinning and roofing (There's No Place Like Home p. 202). In Mt. Eaton, Ohio, Weed and Hones operated an iron factory in 1827 (Mt. Eaton 1829-1979 p. 7).