Jefferson was laid out June 30, 1829 by Stephen Williams and Alexander Hutchinson. It was surveyed by Peter Emery. The plat and certificate were recorded July 2, 1829 (Book G, page 276). It is located four miles west of Wooster, Ohio.
From the early years, there were mail facilities. The coach line extended from Wooster to Ashland. This coach line had been vacated and restored about 1876. Charles Lessiter conducted it for one year. Joshua Warner was postmaster in 1877 followed by George Waggoner in 1878.
- Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 647.