Hill Sanitarium

From Wayne County, Ohio Online Resource Center
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hill Sanitarium
Former type Ambulatory Health Care Services
Industry Health and Social Care
Fate Dissolved
Founded Wooster, Ohio (July 1928 (1928-07))
Founder(s) Dr. S. Gertrude Crandell
Defunct 1942 (1942)
Headquarters Wooster, Ohio, United States
Number of locations 806 College Ave, Wooster, Ohio
Key people Dr. S. Gertrude (Coffin) Crandell
Services A new and up-to-date Sanitarium. Medical, osteopathic, Mineral Fume Baths; ultra-violet and infra-red ray lamps, electric and physio-therapy and diatetic treatments. Dr. Gertrude Crandell, resident physician. Trained nurses. An ideal location for rest and recuperation.

Locations

City Directories

  • 1930 Wooster Directory, S. Gertrude Crandell, p. 13, 129, 238.
  • 1932 Wooster Directory, S. Gertrude Crandell, p. 125, 225.

Comprehensive History

Dr. Gertrude (Coffin) Crandell, a widow, acquired the property and house and opened The Hill Sanitarium in July of 1928 to begin her practice as an osteopathic physician and to educate her family of five children.

Dr. Crandell ran a rest home and sanitarium in this house until 1942 and served as the resident physician in this institution. The Sanitarium served the community in many ways. it provided most of the facilities of a hospital except for major surgery, mental treatment, and contagious diseases, every other type of illness was accepted. One of her most prized possessions was a ledger book which listed the official birth records of more than 80 babies born in the house. Dr. Crandell closed the sanitarium in 1942 and converted it into apartments, rented to college students and couples. She maintained her osteopathic practice until 1958 and finally retired at the age 85. After retiring she turned the house over to the College of Wooster to be used as dormitory and it became known as the Crandell House.[1] In later years, 1990s-2000s the College allowed a fraternity to live-in and operate out of the Crandell House which led to its ultimate demise.

The house was destroyed by the College of Wooster leaving an empty lot at the northwest corner of College Ave. and Pearl St.

Note: This house's one time business name, The Hill Sanitarium, might have sparked the long-running rumor that there once was an insane asylum in the area of College Hills shopping center, as over time it's location on College avenue and Hill's Sanitarium got munged together to become College Hills Sanitorium. To be clear there never was any such insane asylum facility in Wooster, but does explain how the rumor might have began

Slogans

Historical documents

Timeline

  • 1928 - July 26, Opening

Gallery

Business Letterheads

Business Photos

Maps

Newspaper articles

Newspaper full-text articles

Newspaper ads

Newspaper citations with no attached images

References


What Links Here