Grady-Odenkirk House

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Grady-Odenkirk House
Alternative names Grady House, Odenkirk House
General information
Address 172 E. Bowman St.
Town or city Wooster, Ohio
Country USA
Completed 1881

Also Known As Building Name[edit | edit source]

  • Grady House
  • Odenkirk House

Comprehensive History[edit | edit source]

Israel and Sophronia (Milbourn) Grady moved to Wooster and secured forty and a half acres of "wild and barren land" upon which they built this large house in 1881. According to a 1946 Daily Record article by Elisabeth Quinby, the Grady house "had around seven or eight huge rooms on each floor. And the cellar was a fabulous labyrinth of storage rooms"[1]. The property also included a large fish pond complete with a summerhouse on the island in the middle of the pond.

Daughter Huldah Grady, who married Isaac H. Odenkirk, inherited the property and sold it to the Wooster Board of Trade in 1910. The Board of Trade "divided the property into lots, selling it through teams made up of members of the Board of Trade. The house was left on the property, and was the grand prize when the drawing for lots was made in the City Opera House"[2]. The house was won by Wesley H. Zaugg, Pearl Zaugg (Miller), and Flora, Minnie, and Cary Grossenbaugh "on an original investment of $257 for a lot."

After that, the house changed hands several times. In 1919, Wesley Zaugg sold the house to George W. Spangler. In 1926, Spangler sold the house to Brada Carmony. In 1927, Carmony sold it to Ira S. and Cora Crile. After Crile's death there were "a number of suits to quiet title, and eventually Emma Carmony, executrix of the estate of Brada Carmony, became the owner"[3]. In 1930, Emma Carmony sold the house to Glenn W. Way, who turned the big house into four apartments. In 1946, Walter Saunders acquired the property with intent to modernize the apartments.

Timeline[edit | edit source]

  • 1881: House built by Israel Grady
  • 1910: House sold by Huldah Grady Odenkirk to Wooster Board of Trade
  • 1910: House used as "grand prize" by Wooster Board of Trade and won by Wesley Zaugg, Pearl Zaugg (Miller), and Flora, Minnie, and Cary Grossenbaugh
  • 1919: House sold to George W. Spangler
  • 1926: House sold to Brada Carmony
  • 1927: House sold to Ira and Cora Crile
  • 1930: House sold to Glenn W. Way
  • 1946: House sold to Walter Saunders

Owners[edit | edit source]

  • Israel and Sophronia Grady
  • Isaac and Huldah Odenkirk
  • Wooster Board of Trade
  • Wesley and Pearl Zaugg, Flora, Minnie, and Cary Grossenbaugh
  • George W. Spangler
  • Brada Carmony
  • Ira and Cora Crile
  • Emma Carmony
  • Glenn W. Way
  • Walter Saunders

Tenants[edit | edit source]

Historical documents[edit | edit source]

Newspaper articles[edit | edit source]

Notes[edit | edit source]

Photographs[edit | edit source]

Wayne County Recorder Property Transfers[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. "Old Grady Home, Once a Showplace, Changes Hands Again -- It's History," by Elisabeth Quinby, Daily Record, 19 February 1946, p.9
  2. "Old Grady Home, Once a Showplace, Changes Hands Again -- It's History," by Elisabeth Quinby, Daily Record, 19 February 1946, p.9
  3. "Old Grady Home, Once a Showplace, Changes Hands Again -- It's History," by Elisabeth Quinby, Daily Record, 19 February 1946, p.9