|Headquarters||Dalton, Ohio, United States|
|Number of locations||127 S. Church St., Dalton, Ohio|
|Parent||Wooster Public Library and Museum; Wayne County District Public Library; Wayne County Public Library|
In 1980, the Library Board began to see potential in the Village of Dalton beyond just a bookmobile stop. Swayed by community support and a petition signed by 750 newspaper readers, the Board agreed that the Village was the ideal location for a library expansion.
A new branch in Dalton was approved in June of 1988. Construction on the new $227,000 facility began that October. The new 2,528 sq. ft. building, only half-filled by its 16,000 book capacity when it opened, left many empty-looking shelves. By the Branch's 10th anniversary, it had exceeded capacity, recording over 21,000 items.
Fun Fact: Dalton Elementary students helped raise money for the construction by buying bricks for $1 each. The fundraiser netted $200.
- 1980 - the Library Board began to see potential in the Village of Dalton beyond just a bookmobile stop. Swayed by community support and a petition signed by 750 newspaper readers, the Board agreed that the Village was the ideal location for a library expansion. On the lot was previously the Dalton Presbyterian Church annex building.
- 1988 - June, A new branch in Dalton was approved for construction.
- 1988 - October, Construction of the building began. Dalton Elementary School students purchased bricks at $1 each to help raise money for construction. Each student received a miniature brick for their donation and the fundraising effort netted about $200 towards the $22,000 total construction cost.
- 1989 - May, original 2,528 square foot building opened.
- 1989 - May 30, Opening day, circulation was 141 items. Capacity of the building was thought to be 16,000 items.
- 1989 - August 27, Dalton branch was dedicated.
- 1999 - By the 10th anniversary, the library had over 21,000 items.
- 2015 - Before the addition, the library had approximately 25,000 items in inventory.
- 2015 - July 15, Groundbreaking for the renovation/expansion project was made possible through many generous community donations, over $300,000 was raised for the construction project. The project added an additional 3,600 square feet on the north and south sides of the library for a total of 6,100 square feet.
- 2016 - July 18, a soft reopening of the renovated Dalton branch
- 2016 - July 30, Ribbon cutting and open house. The $1.8 million renovation/expansion added a community room that can be subdivided into two smaller meeting room with seating, a children's room with window seat, interactive early literacy area, a teen center, a technology center, new public restrooms, and a front porch. In the entrance, a new stained glass wall listed the donor contributions of $1,000 or more to the project.
Newspaper full-text articles
Newspaper citations with no attached images