Boston Piano Co.
. . 40 . . .
- Boston Piano Co.
- Sporting Goods / Hobby / Musical Instrument / and Book Stores
- Date unknown
- Date unknown
- 0000 E. South St., Wooster, Ohio, United States
The Boston Piano Company was originally formed and operated in Boston, Massachusetts. When one of the principle business partners, Epaminondas Wilson, was adjudged insolvent in October of 1891 he was ordered to sell his equity in the company to pay his creditors. On May 24, 1892 an agreement for the sale of the personal property of Mr. Wilson consisting of pianos, machinery, etc., and referred to as the "piano plant" was sold to James B. Taylor, H. B. Odenkirk, and others of Wooster, Ohio for $15,000. There was a long legal battle surrounding Mr. Wilson, his business partners, and this company which was not settled until 1909 and most of the people involved had already died.
In July of 1892 the whole Boston Piano Co. plant was moved from Boston, Massachusetts to Wooster, Ohio and set up in the old Whip Factory brick building on South street. The piano factory would employ approximately 40 men. However, upon arriving in Wooster the space in the building was found to be too small and they had to secure space outside of factory building for the storage of already finished pianos: reportedly 100 ready for market and 80 others in the process of completion. The 100 finished pianos were ordered to be sold right away through the firm of Odenkirk & McClarran.
After the factory was up and running in Wooster, Ohio it reportedly produced about 8 pianos a week and these were sold principally in Ohio and Pennsylvania, with some being shipped to the New England states and Texas. The company operated in Wooster for about 10 years.
In 1902, A. E. Jones, bought the Boston Piano company and moved it to Coshocton, Ohio, thus ending the manufacturing of pianos in Wooster, Ohio.
- 1891 - Oct., Epaminondas Wilson was adjudged insolvent and order to sell his equity in company to pay his creditors.
- 1892 - May 24, An agreement for for the sale of pianos, machinery, etc. was sold to James B. Taylor, H. B. Odenkirk, and others of Wooster, Ohio for $15,000.
- 1892 - July, the whole Boston Piano Co. plant was moved from Boston to Wooster, Ohio and setup in the old Whip Factory brick building on South street.
- 1902 - A. E. Jones purchased the Boston Piano Company and moved it to Coshocton, Ohio ending the manufacturing of pianos in Wooster, Ohio.
- 1909 - A long legal battle was not settled until 1909 in which most of the people involved have already died.
Newspaper full-text articles