Lattasburg, Ohio

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Historical Information

Surveyed 27 Feb 1851 by J. W. Hoegner for Jacob Grose. The plat was recorded on January 26, 1854. Name changed from West Union in 1855, and was named after Ephraim Latta.

John Fasig built the first house out of logs o the north-east corner of the Public Square for a residence and a shop. Latta bought out Fasig and began the manufacture of hand sickles.

The post-office was establishe on May 14, 1867, when W. C. Baker received his first appointment. Samuel Bridenstein started the first dry-goods store. The first settled doctor was Henry Allspaugh. The first person who died supposedly was a woman who is buried in the middle of the road between Lattasburg and the German Baptist Church.[1]

References

  1. Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 836.