From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
The village was laid out by Jacob Frederick on November 27, 1824. The plat and certificate are recorded on November 30, 1824. It was named after its founder, who served as an Associate Judge of Wayne county as early as 1826.
- Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 764.