Dalton, Ohio

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Dalton, Ohio, is a village located in the northern part of Sugar Creek Township in Wayne County, Ohio.

Historical Information

Dalton was formed from three separate towns that came before it. These are Dover, Sharon, and Middletown. Dover was surveyed on October 16, 1817 by A. Porter for Rev. James Adams. It had 46 lots when originally laid out. Sharon was surveyed on March 29, 1828 by C. W. Christmas and had 30 lots. Middletown was laid out by Jacob Switzer and John Jameson, and was surveyed by William Henderson on December 27, 1828. It had 54 in-lots and 11 out-lots.

The three towns eventually joined to become Dalton, which was incorporated on August 14, 1856.

A man named Freeman had the first tavern, and the first physician was Dr. Watson. Mr. Johnson had the first store, and the first church was formed by the Presbyterians.

The Dalton post office was established in 1825, and the first postmaster was Benjamin Nowee.[1]

Maps

1873 Caldwell's Atlas of Wayne County, Ohio

1897 Caldwell's Atlas of Wayne County, Ohio

Businesses

Photos

Websites

References

  1. Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 847.

See also