Apple Creek, Ohio

From Wayne County (OH) Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Apple Creek street view PW p275.jpg
Apple Creek Railway Park PW p90.jpg

Apple Creek was formed from two smaller towns merging together: Edinburg and Applecreek Station.

Applecreek Station

Applecreek Station developed through the growth of the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon & Columbus Railroad. After it was laid out as a town, Andrew Woodruff, a blacksmith, built the first house. The next few houses were built by John Hindman and Elisha Numbers.

  • George Core opened the first hotel.
  • David Clark opened the first dry goods store.
  • The first three teachers of the new school building built in 1874 were Mr. Eberly, Mr. Holcomb and Mr. Caldwell.[1]

Edinburg

According to Ben Douglass in his History of Wayne County, Ohio Edinburg was laid out by William Thomas and John L. Cheyney on 22 August 1822 (p. 616). It was surveyed by George Emery on 16 August 1832. Early postmasters of Edinburg included:

Prior to the appointment of Cornelius Smith, the postoffice was located at the old town. Following his appointment, the postoffice was at Applecreek Station.


Ira Pratt owned the first store in Edinburg.[2]

References

  1. Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 616
  2. Douglass, Ben. History of Wayne County, Ohio. Indianapolis: Robert Douglass Publisher, 1878. pg. 616